Article on Haplopelma lividum venom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article on Haplopelma lividum venom

Moore, S. et al (2009) Mass spectrometric characterisation and quantitation of selected low molecular mass compounds from the venom of Haplopelma lividum (Theraphosidae), Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 23(12), pp. 1747 - 1755

Abstract:
    Arachnid venoms present a diverse and complex matrix for investigation, with their latent potential for innovative drug and pesticide design largely unrealised. The characterisation and quantification of selected low molecular mass compounds isolated from the crude venom of the Cobalt blue tarantula (Haplopelma lividum) were the objectives of this study. Fractionation of the crude venom was performed using reversed-phase high-performance liquid chromatography, with compound identification using both electrospray ionisation ion trap mass spectrometry and quadrupole time-of-flight mass spectrometry. Four compounds were identified, and quantification on a percentage dry weight basis was achieved by liquid chromatography/electrospray ionisation tandem mass spectrometry based on the formation of their corresponding product ions. Of these the most abundant component was glutamic acid, present at a level of 0.97%. Histamine and adenosine were detected at 0.14% and 0.10% dry weight, respectively, with the polyamine spermine noted in trace amounts at 0.002%. The limits of detection and quantification were established for each of the identified components. The fragmentation profile for histamine has also been proposed.

My Collection:

sounds interesting, only because I like big words.
    Do you have the paper please?
    My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Lacey View Post
      sounds interesting, only because I like big words.
      Do you have the paper please?
      Yes, I have it. I'll forward it to you in the morning

My Collection:

Comment

would you mind forwarding it onto me aswell Phil please

Comment

I'd appreciate a copy of this Phil when you have time.

Thanks
          Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Hi Peter,
            I'm pretty new to all of this so if I get it wrong I apologise but:

Adenosine causes hyperemia, which is increased blood flow due to increased cellular activity. 12 microgrammes is enough for maximal hyperemia in humans, though how much would cause arrhythmia I don't know.
            Histamine causes pain and possible tissue irritation.
            Glutamic acid, in small doses a staple part of the human diet, has been known to lower blood pressure.
            Spermine helps cellular growth, and promotes bacterial growth
            So to us this venom would hurt like hell and (might) cause hot flushes, but to a mouse its like washing down a box of sleeping pills and a box of blood thinners with seratonin whilst being hooked up to the mains - I think:-S

It would be interesting to see comparable levels in minax and longipes as well. Thanks for the paper Phil
            sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

Hey there, Phil, if I could possibly get a copy of this paper as well, please?

The Collection

Comment

I must admit that all of this is really interesting and some of it above my head, well alot of it actually but when you look at broken down somewhat it makes you wonder why they do not use spider venom in many more medicines.Thank you so much for that info, On looking at it with the some of the things mentioned looking on the lighter side of things it sounds like if you bottle it a dose a day may do me a bit of good, lol, No offence I hope?
                My Collection: - Support captive breeding

"If it doesnt kill you, it only makes you stronger"

Comment

Working...
                X