Hunting For Tarantulas - photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunting For Tarantulas - photos

This is the burrow of Chilobrachys sp. Penang in its natural habitat.

Here's another one.

This is a female specimen of Chilobrachys sp. Penang.

And this one shows the ultimate male.

Will be back soon with more photos.
    Do visit my new blog: http://tarantulasandothers.blogspot.com/

Very nice pictures Tommy

My Collection:

Comment

Thanks for your nice compliments. Phil. It's nice to know that there are people who appreciate what we are trying to do - in this case, sharing what we have with others.

Let's get on with it. Here are some photos of our hunting trip.

The hunters. From left: Yours truly, Stuart, Dr John and Kate. Photo taken by my son, Andrew who is the fifth member of the group.

Dr John is trying to tease out a Liphistius desultor ( the Trapdoor Spider ).

This is the Liphistius desultor that we caught.

Close-up portrait of Liphistius desultor ( also known as the Trapdoor Spider )

To be continued, By For now. Do visit my new blog.

Comment

Very interesting pictures

Comment

Thanks for your nice words, Jennifer. Here is a photo of a MALE Liphistius desultor. The colour is totally different from that of the female.

Comment

This is one of my Orange Baboon Tarantulas.

This is a warning!!! Don't come any nearer!

Comment

Tarantula Room

This is a general view of a part of my Tarantula Room. The containers with the yellow labels ( on the right ) and the red baskets below it house all my OBTs. The red baskets are 4 tiers deep.

Here's another pic of an OBT.

Visit my new blog: http://tarantulasandothers.blogspot.com/

Best Wishes from Tommy Ang.

Comment

More on Liphistius desultor.

Here are more photos of the Trapdoor Spider, Liphistius desultor. This photo will give you an idea
                of the size of a fully grown female.
                I think this is about the maximum size of this species. I have yet to see a larger one.

This is a very beautiful specimen with perfect colours. I have found some yellowish ones and
                some with very dull colours.

This one flipped over and pretended to be dead when I moved it around to have its photo taken.
                After the photo was taken, it just flipped back and walked away as if on cue.

Comment

WOW, amazing pics!
                  you really like your murinus, i notice i can't blame you, they are lovely.

gotta say though, i missed out on some Chilobrachys sp "penangs" and now i am seeing references here and there and am so disappointed! lol

we need to get some Liphistius desultor in the hobby here too, they are amazing spiders, and really fantastic looking...

again, beautiful pics!
                  Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                  -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
                  My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Thank you, James. I will be posting more info on Chilobrachys sp. Penang soon.

Tommy Ang.

Comment

Chilobrachys sp. Penang

Here's another burrow of Chilobrachys sp. Penang in its natural habitat.

And the photo below shows a fully matured male of the species. Photo taken by my son, Andrew Ang.

This is a female Chilobrachys sp. Penang.

Comment

Liphistius desultor

Let's go back to the wild and see some trapdoors. Imagine you're looking at this wall and you are standing about 6 feet away from it. Try to locate the "trapdoor" of the Liphistius desultor. Look hard. It is very, very well camouflaged. ( Photo below )

Can you see it in the photo ( the first photo on top )? No? Let's get a liitle closer. See photo below. Got it?

Let's get nearer still ( photo below ). You simply cannot miss it. Watch out for those radiating trip lines. These trip lines are thin strands of webbing that allows the spider to sense prey.

Comment

Great photo's . Loving those C sp. Penang's .

Comment

woah some sweet pictures there!
                            My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

hi tommy your pics are very good and very nice specimens, ive started out collecting tarantula's just over 2 month's ago and my first one is a Chilean rose (Grammastola rosea) my next one is going to be a mexican red knee. i do have a phobia but i have handle'd my chile and he's brill (i do handle as little as poss but keeping in mind the respect we need to give them), they are a perfect pet any idea's on other specie's i can have for a begginer would be apreciated tommy. i also joined your blog as a follower.

Comment

Working...
                              X