Beginner Query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginner Query

Hi. As a new member to this forum based in Preston Lancashire, I am keen to contact any other keepers in the area for advice as I am new (7 months) to the tarantula keeping obsession!
    One query I have is regarding a Red-Knee who has recently moulted (approx 5 inch leg-span now - still a baby?) who likes to sit on his tank heat mat (back wall outside the viv). Is this normal behaviour, and is the tank warm enough at 80 degrees? Difficult to coax it off the tank mat!

Thanks,
    Mark E
    Mark E

Re: Beginner Query

Originally posted by Mark E
    One query I have is regarding a Red-Knee who has recently moulted (approx 5 inch leg-span now - still a baby?)
    Brachypelma smithi can be bred at 5 inches I think (MarkP/Phil/Carl you'd know more than me here) - did you salvage the old skin as it is possible to determine the sex from it.

who likes to sit on his tank heat mat (back wall outside the viv).
    It climbs the back wall? Lots of smithi seem to do this, it often indicates it doesn't like the substrate or the floor is too wet.
    What are you using?

Is this normal behaviour, and is the tank warm enough at 80 degrees? Difficult to coax it off the tank mat!
    80 is plenty for most tarantulas

Comment

If it is female then i would say she is big enough to breed. Around half the females i had eggsacs from last year were what people wold have regarded as sub adult.

Richard Gallon has a male. if Mark still has the skin and it can be sexed i think he should give it a try.

Ray

Comment

Hi, Thanks for the replies. I have the skin but it is a little crumpled (the spider sat on it for 2 days before I could retrieve it). I have no idea how to sex it, so if you could assist that would be great.
        The flooring is vermiculite and is not wet at all, but is dampened occasionally. Usually the spider is happy to walk on it.
        The humidity guage reads 45% - should the substrate be kept reasonably damp or misted? I have a large water dish in the viv.

Cheers, Mark.
        Mark E

Comment

Working...
        X