Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identifying a species?

Hello all,

I'm sure this is notoriously difficult (especially considering my awful photos) but my cat dragged in a little tarantula thing morning (minus a leg!) and I was wondering if you could help me identify her.

A bit of background - we live in Brunei, Borneo so it's a nice equatorial climate. It wasn't an adult, she was probably 2 inches toe to toe, maybe 3 but I didn't stretch her out. She was black, velvety and apparently rather aggressive (although I didn't get there in time but my husband saw her nip the cat who limped for a couple of hours and then shook it off) but that's probably more to do with being dragged out of her home and into our house than being inherently aggressive.

I'd love to know what sort it is, I have only ever kept a couple of Chilean Roses and had no idea there was quite such a broad range of species! I am probably wrong but the closest I can find to her looks like "Ornithoctoninae" but perhaps you can shed some more light. And if not, well there's a couple of (awful) photos of a nice little black spidey

Sorry about the awful photos, I was half asleep. Sadly the little thing didn't survive but I'm hardly surprised being batted about by our cat

Originally posted by Helen Rees View Post
    Hello all,

I'm sure this is notoriously difficult (especially considering my awful photos) but my cat dragged in a little tarantula thing morning (minus a leg!) and I was wondering if you could help me identify her.

A bit of background - we live in Brunei, Borneo so it's a nice equatorial climate. It wasn't an adult, she was probably 2 inches toe to toe, maybe 3 but I didn't stretch her out. She was black, velvety and apparently rather aggressive (although I didn't get there in time but my husband saw her nip the cat who limped for a couple of hours and then shook it off) but that's probably more to do with being dragged out of her home and into our house than being inherently aggressive.

I'd love to know what sort it is, I have only ever kept a couple of Chilean Roses and had no idea there was quite such a broad range of species! I am probably wrong but the closest I can find to her looks like "Ornithoctoninae" but perhaps you can shed some more light. And if not, well there's a couple of (awful) photos of a nice little black spidey

Sorry about the awful photos, I was half asleep. Sadly the little thing didn't survive but I'm hardly surprised being batted about by our cat
    Hi looks like a male... but not sure if its a theraphosid though.

Do you have other images ?

Cheers
    Mark

------------------------------------------------------
    Serious Ink tattoo studio -
    Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Hi Mark,

Sorry no those were the only two shots I got...

Comment

Working...
      X