Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acrylic Arboreal Enclosure

DIY Acrylic Arboreal Enclosure.

This is my second attempt at working with acrylic. I have built 4 other Arboreal enclosures which are currently occupied and this is the first of 4 upgrades for when my spiders get a bit bigger.

The main structure is made entirely from 5mm Extruded Acrylic. Measuring 30 x 15 x 15cm. The hinges and hasps are also acrylic. All the sheets were cut to order and "diamond polished" by a supplier. The sheets are bonded together using a clear setting acrylic bonding solution, applied with a syringe and needle. The screen vents (2") are alluminium and attached with Aquarium Silicone.

I really enjoy building these. Acrylic is clearer, lighter and stronger than glass. The only downside is it does mark easily and scratches are difficult to buff out.

Jamie.
    Attached Files
    My Collection:

Nice job Jamie, looks very professional.
    Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Thanks Colin!

I've had all the bits and pieces for weeks. I finally put some time aside at the weekend to put it all together. I have plans to build another 3. More coming soon!

Jamie
      My Collection:

Comment

Nice one Jamie - looks fantastic. Diamond polished acrylic makes such a difference. What T are you planning to put in here?
        I've just ordered some acrylic for a large arboreal enclosure 410 x 210 x 210. May build it this weekend.
        Brachypelma vagans 0.0.1
        Lasiodora parahybana 0.0.1
        Grammostola rosea 0.1.0
        Poecilotheria regalis 0.0.1
        Poecilotheria rufilata 0.1.0
        Brachypelma smithi 0.1.0
        Avicularia versicolor 0.0.1
        Psalmopoeus irminia 0.0.1
        Aphonopelma schmidti 0.1.0
        Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens 0.0.1
        Acanthoscurria geniculata 0.0.1

Comment

Thanks Chris. My poor photography doesn't do it justice! lol

I'm just planning ahead. I have 4 A.minatrix that will soon outgrow their current homes and occupy these in about 6 - 9 months.

I have just requested another quote from RED to build 3 more. Trying to resist buying more T's is difficult enough as it is without having empty enclosures sitting around! But what the hell!

I decided to keep the sides of the enclosure bare so I can stack rows of them side by side. That's why I put the vents on the door instead.

Jamie.
          My Collection:

Comment

Makes sense. A row of enclosures side by side will look fantastic. I am not planning on having that many so will be putting vents on the sides. I cant wait for my pokies to grow a bit so I can put them in the new enclosures. I might need to wait for another two molts before the P regalis is big enough though. I know what you mean about empty enclosures, it seems such a waste to have them just sitting there looking at you LOL!
            Once again - great job with this one Jamie.
            Brachypelma vagans 0.0.1
            Lasiodora parahybana 0.0.1
            Grammostola rosea 0.1.0
            Poecilotheria regalis 0.0.1
            Poecilotheria rufilata 0.1.0
            Brachypelma smithi 0.1.0
            Avicularia versicolor 0.0.1
            Psalmopoeus irminia 0.0.1
            Aphonopelma schmidti 0.1.0
            Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens 0.0.1
            Acanthoscurria geniculata 0.0.1

Comment

Nice job Jamie,

I would be interested to know where you got the acrylic sheeting from and what it cost polished and cut.

For all those tempted to give it a go the following link may be worth viewing

Posting it here so I know where to find it when I need it lol

Richard
              There are 3 kinds of Tarantula keeper. Those that can count and those that can't.

My Collection as of the 30.10.10

Comment

would you be willing to sell one? i have just started in tarantula keeping looking into keeping a pink toe
                Originally posted by Jamie Cooper View Post
                Thanks Colin!

I've had all the bits and pieces for weeks. I finally put some time aside at the weekend to put it all together. I have plans to build another 3. More coming soon!

Jamie

Comment

Originally posted by R Thomas View Post
                  Nice job Jamie,

I would be interested to know where you got the acrylic sheeting from and what it cost polished and cut.

For all those tempted to give it a go the following link may be worth viewing

Posting it here so I know where to find it when I need it lol

Richard
                  Thank you Richard!

I got the acrylic sheet from an online supplier. They cut and polished the acrylic for about £22.00 including delivery. The acrylic fixings (hinges and hasps) are quite pricey too. I think they are about £2.00 per hinge/hasp. I can't really remember to be honest.

If you want contact details for the suppliers, just ask and I wil PM you.

Hope this helps.

Jamie
                  My Collection:

Comment

Originally posted by jasonbotting View Post
                    would you be willing to sell one? i have just started in tarantula keeping looking into keeping a pink toe
                    Well Jason, it's your lucky day! I would definitely consider selling you one.

I will send you a PM

Jamie.
                    My Collection:

Comment

Hi Jamie i would also like the contact details for the suppliers of the Acrylic if you dont mind sending me a pm with the details
                      cheers

Aarons Collection:

Comment

Working...
                      X