Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tapinauchenius subcaerulus, P pulcher, Chilobrachys sp., and Opistophthalmus sp.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tapinauchenius subcaerulus, P pulcher, Chilobrachys sp., and Opistophthalmus sp.

a couple proper successes to report, though lacking in dates and such i'm afraid.

earlier this year i had a sac of roughly 80 T subcaerulus slings, 70 i think of which survived and were sold at the BTS in May.

Martin Goss lent me a male later on and i had another go. the result is another large number of slings, which i will hopefully be separating this week (and thus counting). they all are apparently healthy, and the numbers do look high, at least as much as last time.

P pulcher:
    with Sylvi Rigden's male, i had a small but hopefully strong sac of 33 slings. a few have died, but i still have 29.

Chilobrachys sp (sold as huahini, but i'm pretty sure andersoni type)
    she's sat on a sac right now, so fingers crossed

Opistophthalmus sp (sold as glabifrons, but i lack the knowledge to ID properly at this point)
    came in as gravid and graced me with 12 scorplings (that i could count at one time). the mother took good care and apart from some sparring over food, they seemed ok for a while together. unfortunately 2 (hopefully only 2) died and i took it as a signal to separate. i now have 10 apparently healthy little scorplings, all pith and vinegar. the mother is doing fine.
    i'm reasonably proud that she felt safe enough and comfortable enough to have her babies in my care, though i didn't physically mate the adults.
    these scorplings will all be used to start a breeding project, if i'm able. i have another adult female, so i can mix the blood up a bit. i may sell the 2nd generation if all goes well! big, gorgeous, darkly coloured scorpions with some personality!

this week i will be pairing Chaetopelma olivacea (both sold by Martin Goss and thus fairly safe to assume they are from the same general locality in Israel) and Ephebopus rufescens (male borrowed from Peter Roach).

I've also mated Aphonopelma iodius (or whatever it is we have here that is called by that name).

i am weighing the pro's and cons of mating P cambridgei, as i feel the hobby may be a bit saturated at present.

all in all, a good year so far. with luck, my table at the next BTS will have a wealth of gorgeous little spiderlings and possibly adults for sale!
    Last edited by James Box; 04-01-12, 01:58 PM.
    Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
    -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

the Chilobrachys sac hatched somewhere between Thursday and Saturday. the slings look well. i will start removing them as soon as some pots i ordered arrive! i can then provide a count.
    the sac was left with mum for the duration. i think it took roughly 4 months. she tended it faithfully all the way through. i sprayed her webbing now and then, trying to avoid spraying her!!! she's now had a nice fat cricket as her first meal in ages. really proud of the wee girl!
    now to get her identified to some degree. i am presuming sp andersoni at the moment, though she was sold as huahini.
    Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
    -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

just a quick update. the Tapi's are VERY delicate, but i have a few to sell at the BTS (shameless plug)...the pulchers are well, and the Chilo's are nigh invincible.
      based on some research and comparing with another specimen, i think these are Chilobrachys sp "guanxiensis". this is based on the noticeable pale metatarsal flame markings.

i also have two more sacs! Chaetopelma olivaceum and Aphonopelma iodius! that latter is a dream come true...i've been trying and failing to get a sac from an Aphono for years now. given this species relative rarity in the hobby, and the fact that the mother of them all died, this could be a very important sac, so i'll do my best!

it's also worth mentioning that despite the common practice of pulling sacs (sometimes understandably, like with P metallica), i have had near total breeding success leaving with mum. the few failures have been down to my own lapses, for example mistakes with watering, and thus my fault rather than the females'. so based on my own experience, leaving the female alone apart from very careful watering sessions is what i'd recommend to people.
      -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

should also mention the 10 scorplings are all doing well and most have moulted again. they are showing marked differences in size, which is quite interesting. they all appear full of pith and vinegar, as they say! the two adult females are very fat and feisty, so i hope they will leave long enough to contribute again to this breeding program.
        -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Working...
        X