Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sterilizing containers

Hi
    Can any one tell me the best thing to use for sterilizing film pots and other containers will somthing like milton fluid or virkon for pets be safe enough to use with tarantulas?

Darren
    I have kept T's for 20 years or more (old age buggers up your memory)and always use Dettox clear which is a non taint anti bacterial spray but nowadays shops do sell their own brands, however make sure its non odour and non taint clear. Also there are some great new brand of anti bacterial washing up liquids which are just as good and easy to find.
    As a precaution always swill out with fresh clean water and let dry
    Regards
    Mark

------------------------------------------------------
    Serious Ink tattoo studio -
    Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

I use really hot water, very little can withstand that.

Ray

Comment

film pots

Hi, If you're using new film pots there's no need to sterilize them since there won't be any harmful organisms living in them.

However new film pots smell "chemically", so it's a good idea to soak them in water for 10 minutes or so - then swill them out with fresh water and dry them with a towel. This seems to remove most of the smell.

I don't use disinfectants anywhere near my spiders, as in most cases it's probably over-kill (this practice is more to do with reptile keeping). However if you really want to use one the best is household bleach (10-20% solution in water) (careful near carpets and clothes). This will kill virtually everything - viruses (if you count them as living), fungal spores, bacteria, nematodes etc.... Many of the household disinfectants target bacteria, leaving things like fungal spores and viruses unharmed.

Obviously you'd need to rinse bleached items with clean water and leave them to stand for a while before use. A process which would inevitably seed the pots with bacteria and fungi anyway

Comment

In hot water

Originally posted by angelarachnid
          I use really hot water, very little can withstand that.

Ray

Most invertebrate pests (e.g. mites) will be killed, but many fungi and bacteria can ride out high water temps.

Comment

Working...
          X