G.rosea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lee benson View Post
    my female g rosea she fine she never bothers, she lets me handle her,, the male i had was a pain, he wont let me near him, and he did flick hairs at me, he was always on the defence,
    Hi Lee.
    Good luck with the eggs.
    Apart from medical treatment what reason is there to handle a t?.
    I have thought about it in the beginning and what with the " t's don't like it or it scares them".
    I could not think of any thing apart from what it must feel like.
    I take my hat off to those that can just pick a t up ..
    But from what I've been told they have no idea of affection or the love being held..!
    Or do they lol..

Comment

hi thanks,, it dont seem to bother her,, when she dos come out, and i dont get her out all the time,, just now and then,, but wont be for a while now, seen as shes a mammy lol ,

Comment

Originally posted by John chambers View Post
        ... Apart from medical treatment what reason is there to handle a t?. ...
        AT THE RISK OF HIJACKING THIS THREAD OR STARTING A FLAME WAR ABOUT HANDLING TARANTULAS...

Lots of reasons. Among them:

1) Moving from cage to cage while cleaning or breeding.
        2) Showing to friends (tarantulas need all the public relations help they can get).
        3) Simply interacting with your pet. Getting to know it a little better. Exploring tarantulas, if you will.
        4) Allowing both you and the tarantula to become accustomed to handling in preparation for that one critical time in its life when it MUST be handled (e.g., retrieving an escaped pet).

I'm sure others can dream up more reasons.

... But from what I've been told they have no idea of affection or the love being held..!
        Or do they lol..
        We hear this point of view over and over again, but there is absolutely no hard evidence that it hugely stresses them out or is bad for them (assuming you don't physically hurt the tarantula). Here are some opposing viewpoints.

We become terribly concerned about what tarantulas must "think" or "feel" when we pick them up, but our experience is that those species that are readily handleable adjust quite quickly to the human touch. Once they learn that that huge, clumsy, smelly God-thing isn't going to hurt them, most actually seem to enjoy the experience. They only seem to object when the enthusiast startles them or handles them too clumsily or improperly. Marguerite and I have actually had tarantulas that would move to the front of the cage when we entered the tarantula room as though they either wanted to be fed or wanted to be held (which to them could equate to about the same thing: a desire for some interaction).

We worry about what the tarantula feels or thinks as it's being picked up and handled, but we have absolutely no qualms whatsoever about picking up dogs, cats, babies, and a whole host of other animals. What do you suppose they think the first few times they're picked up? "Oh my God! Help! Help! This giant bipedal monster is going to eat me! Help! Help!"

Some time ago we acquired a 7 week old Shetland sheepdog puppy. The breeder had held it a little before we got it, but it was still obviously distressed when we first picked it up. It didn't know us. Over the next few days to weeks it gradually grew to recognize us a friendly masters, and now is offended if it isn't picked up and fondled at least once a day, and petted every time we pass it in the motorhome. If a dog can do this, where is it written that a tarantula cannot also do so?

The dog, for the "Oooh! How cute!" effect (click the thumbnail for a larger image):

(Uploaded with ImageShack.us)

And the motorhome (Are these called caravans in the UK?):

(Uploaded with ImageShack.us)

The bottom line, I suppose, is that we still know very little of what goes on in whatever passes for a mind in a tarantula. And, our only clue is the tarantula's reaction to various stimuli and situations. If it struggles and fights every time you attempt to pick it up, you either must refine your technique, or you might better find another tarantula to fondle. But, if it merely folds its legs in and cuddles into the palm of your hand, go for it! There's a better than even chance that it enjoys the attention as much as my Sheltie!

[WARNING: INCOMING, UNABASHED, SELF-SERVING RECOMMENDATION! If this sort of thing offends you, please proceed to the next post or even the next thread.]

Both TKG2 and TKG3 (I think TKG3's treatment is better) contain extensive sections about "manipulation" and "handling." (And, it's my perception that few or no other books do so.) Before you attempt to handle your tarantula you should read those sections. Perhaps 90% of enthusiasts do it incorrectly, and often lose a valuable and cherished pet as a result.

Note, as well, that you need not necessarily buy these books. They are either now available on the shelves of most public libraries, or the library can order a copy for you to read through the Interlibrary Loan System or its equivalent.

[END OF UNABASHED, SELF-SERVING RECOMMENDATION.]

Incidentally, there is a book that I only recently learned about (that I have ordered and will get to as soon as I finish Darwin's Origin of Species) entitled Training and Experimenting With Tarantulas by Karen Peebles. I'm really looking forward to reading this one!

Enjoy your little, 8-legged, hand pet!
        Last edited by Stanley A. Schultz; 02-12-10, 03:09 PM.
        The Tarantula Whisperer!
        Stan Schultz
        Co-author, the TARANTULA KEEPER'S GUIDE
        Private messaging is turned OFF!
        Please E-mail me directly at schultz@ucalgary.ca

Comment

Stan I'm looking out for the book..
          And a good point made for why to handle..
          I steer my t's in to a tube that's clear so I can look under or where ever.
          But yeah if a t was in need of asap handling not many of us would know the right safe way..
          I've read the E.sp red is a good one for hands on!.
          But I'm not going to go in to that just now ..

Comment

well, my partner works in a school and when 'the animal man' comes he always brings a g.rosea to let the kids hold, and we were always under the impression they are quite docile.
            Last edited by Gareth Brink; 02-12-10, 05:14 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by Gareth Brink View Post
              well, my partner works in a school and when 'the animal man' comes he always brings a g.rosea to let the kids hold, and we were always under the impression they are quite docile.
              Gareth I think that's good because it helps them get over the fear of spiders and with luck maybe even get more people in the hobby..

Comment

the main reason i got my rosea, is cos my gf is scared of spiders,, so i got mine,, and she sits at the side of me when i have mine out,, so it do help her,, she dont feel ready to hold it yet,, and i will let her when she feels ready,, not just for her sake, but for the safty of my rosea.

Comment

Originally posted by lee benson View Post
                  the main reason i got my rosea, is cos my gf is scared of spiders,, so i got mine,, and she sits at the side of me when i have mine out,, so it do help her,, she dont feel ready to hold it yet,, and i will let her when she feels ready,, not just for her sake, but for the safty of my rosea.
                  I got in to t's because I wanted to get over my fear.
                  So I see your point.
                  What does shock me is with so many that own one of these ps not many come forward to have their say..

Comment

What does shock me is with so many that own one of these ps not many come forward to have their say..
                    Its already been answered John, in this forum and the various other forums you've posted. The instances of aggression are far and few between, certainly no more than you might expect from other tarantula. I'd suggest that's why nobody is contributing much to the debate. Ive had 6, all been fine.
                    My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Lacey View Post
                      Its already been answered John, in this forum and the various other forums you've posted. The instances of aggression are far and few between, certainly no more than you might expect from other tarantula. I'd suggest that's why nobody is contributing much to the debate. Ive had 6, all been fine.
                      like most subjects pete they always get ask over and over no matter who by or for what..
                      Like the " how to sex a t or is this t ok for a beginner".. thats what these forums are for to gain knowledge and learn to save us beginners from making a mistake.

Comment

"Live with wolves, and you learn to howl"
                        My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Lacey View Post
                          "Live with wolves, and you learn to howl"
                          not in my case I hear that from the gsd next door pmsl

Comment

I have an adult female G Rosea RCF - most of the time she's as calm and docile as could be and is often quite happy to climb out onto my hand for a change of scene. She does have her moments though - not too long ago my activities filling up her water dish must have startled her as she rushed out of her burrow, waving at me in annoyance, haha.

Comment

yeah the more I'm reading up on these t's the more I think I'll get one.
                              After all my redknee has moods and some are just mad lol.
                              My little albop just kicks before he calmly walks off ..
                              my pzb just shoots off and freezes as if I've not seen him.
                              So a rosea could be fun.

Comment

Thanks to every one that replied and I will be getting a G.rosea NCF .
                                Thank you to Peter for loaning me his little girl RCF she is a darling to watch
                                and is very calm..
                                And I wish you all a great Christmas

John.

Comment

Working...
                                X