X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yannigarrido
    replied
    Hello, Although I'm not British I joined this forum to learn more about the fantastic Theraphosids!! I'm from the Philippines
    as you can see in my signature.. I am quite new to the hobby I am only 9 months into the hobby and i am currently owning 4 tarantulas 3 scorpions and 1 centipede

btw im happy i joined this board

Leave a comment:

• Andy Leigh
    replied
    Here we go again!

Back in the 90's I was an enthusiastic keeper of around a dozen hairy arachnids, a Grammastola cala was my first soon to be followed by Pterinochilus murinus, Poecilotheria regalis, Ceratogyrus darlingii and an adorably tetchy Haplopelma lividum and a few others. Then the children arrived and as they passed on they weren't replaced (the spiders, not the kids!). We have therefore been an arachnid free house for about the last 12yrs.

Yesterday I dragged out all the old equipment, ordered a Grammastola rosea, rejoined the BTS and here I am jumping around in excitement awaiting the new arrival!

I've warned my wife that this could be the rekindling of a bad habit and she frowned at me!

My argument, and I think it is a pretty strong one, is that we have a heating cabinet suitable for at least 10 specimens and it is a waste to use all that heat just for one, and you have to consider that there are far too many crickets in a punnet for one spider so many of those would be wasted and ... well you get the idea

Next task is to clamber about the loft and find the rest of the paraphanalia and find thos very old BTS journals ... catch you later

Andy

Leave a comment:

• Mrs Linda Street
    replied
    Hi Hanna-Maija, welcome to the forum, it's a great hobby but very addictive lol

Leave a comment:

• andy hood
    replied
    Hello Hanna-Maija and welcome to the forum

Leave a comment:

• Hanna-Maija Lahtinen
    replied
    Hi all, and greetings from Helsinki, Finland!

After much persistent persuasion by my hubby, our first T arrived yesterday, an Acanthoscurria Geniculata named Esa. Esa was listed as unsexed by the breeder, but she was kind enough to pack the latest moult along for the journey over from England. Thus, as far as I can tell, Esa is a very pretty little girl!

She is about 4 cm (BL) and doesn't seem to have been too bothered about the trip over, as her first order of business in her new home was to inspect the whole terrarium rather thoroughly, three times over. She is currently housed in a Exo Terra Faunarium (460 x 300 x 170 mm 18” x 12” x 6 1/2”) whilst we wait for the swankier glass terrarium to be delivered.

We've found this forum the be a real treasure chest of valuable information and advice as we were educating ourselves on everything tarantula-related.

Thus, I'd like to ask for your opinion on whether Esa's tank is hot and humid enough. Currently the temp/humidity stats are roughly 23c/60-63%. We have a heat mat that is outside against the back wall covering about a half of it with tin foil on the outside to direct the heat, and the digital temp/hydro gauge is located in the opposite corner, thus the area near the mat is bound to be few degrees warmer. As the tank is made of plastic, it probably does not let much of the heat of the mat through though. What do you guys (and gals) think, is this enough?

All in all, it has been wonderful to find such a splendid forum and I look forward to learning more!

...especially as we never could decide between an A. Geniculata and a Lasiodora Parahybana, and thus a L. Parahybana should be arriving in April. She'll be about 4 cm (BL) as well...

Best,

Hanna-Maija

Leave a comment:

• Samuel Hack
    replied
    Don't worry I finally managed it lol

Leave a comment:

• Samuel Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by Colin D Wilson View Post
    Sorry to keep asking questions but when I click on the link it says Invalid File ID? Am I looking for a particular file?

Wow I'm starting to sound useless.

Thank you all for your patience and for making me feel welcome

Leave a comment:

• Colin D Wilson
    replied
    Free back issue of the journal is here

Welcome onboard Sam

Leave a comment:

• Samuel Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by Matthew Bagley View Post
    There's a sample journal on here somewhere if I remember correctly .

As I said earlier , come back to the chatroom anytime , we could do with fresh peeps to talk to . lol
    Is the Sample journal on the forum or a different part of the site?

Leave a comment:

• Matthew Bagley
    replied
    There's a sample journal on here somewhere if I remember correctly .

As I said earlier , come back to the chatroom anytime , we could do with fresh peeps to talk to . lol

Leave a comment:

• Mrs Linda Street
    replied
    Hi Sam welcome to the forum the journals are excellent with great pics and intersting write ups

Leave a comment:

• Samuel Hack
    replied
    Hi guys, I'm Sam and from Southampton.

Only been keeping tarantulas for the last year now but I'm hooked.

Thinking about joining the BTS fully soon, but until then could anyone tell me what the journals are like?

Leave a comment:

• Peter Roach
    replied
    Thanks for the warm and loving replies

As you all missed me so much shall I expect my free T's posted forthwith or even sooner
    Last edited by Peter Roach; 17-03-11, 12:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mrs Linda Street
    replied
    Originally posted by Peter Roach View Post
    I'm back
    Its been about 2 1/2 years since I sold my collection and have recently been getting the shakes cos I need a fix of spideys. ! ! !
    I'll have the shed emptied out of the junk I've dumped in it very soon and after a lick of paint it will be ready to accept some new occupants.
    I've kept all of the hundreds of old spider containers that I used before so all I need to do is save up and buy lots of T's at the BTS in May.
    I'll be back on-line next week so I can rejoin the BTS and start to get back into the swing of things. Sent from my GT-I5700
    Hi Peter, glad to see you back, ready for another fix lol, the two or three I had from you when you were selling up, are still going strong, and you're not having them back lol.

Leave a comment:

• James Box
    replied
    Originally posted by Peter Roach View Post
    I'm back
    Its been about 2 1/2 years since I sold my collection and have recently been getting the shakes cos I need a fix of spideys. ! ! !
    I'll have the shed emptied out of the junk I've dumped in it very soon and after a lick of paint it will be ready to accept some new occupants.
    I've kept all of the hundreds of old spider containers that I used before so all I need to do is save up and buy lots of T's at the BTS in May.
    I'll be back on-line next week so I can rejoin the BTS and start to get back into the swing of things.

Sent from my GT-I5700
    welcome back! i do remember the fun times!
    Originally posted by Colin D Wilson View Post
    Is that a good thing or a bad thing ?...... for us !

Doesn't seem like 2 1/2 years Peter, Welcome back matey
    PM me when you're online, might have some oddments you may be interested in to start up again.
    time flies, bit depressing lol

i also have some stuff that's surplus to my needs, so you can PM me as well if you fancy. more concerned about good homes than money, so might be a bargain or two.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X