X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayne Howroyd
    replied
    Hi all,

I have been a forum member for a while but just lurking. I am from Johannesburg South Africa and have been involved with tarantulas for about 9 months. I have learnt a huge deal from some really good people over this side of the planet and I am hoping to learn a lot more here.
    I currently have the below list but I am now focusing more on arboreal species, specifically Poecilotheria.

Brachypelma albopilosum
    Brachypelma boehmei
    Brachypelma smithi
    Brachypelma vagans
    Lasiodora klugi
    Lasiodora parahybana
    Acanthoscurria geniculata
    Grammostola rosea
    Tapinauchenius cupreus
    Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens
    Poecilotheria ornata
    Poecilotheria fasciata
    Poecilotheria formosa
    Poecilotheria regalis
    Poecilotheria miranda
    Stromatopelma calceatum
    Ephebopus cyanognathus
    Holothele incei - Communal
    Lampropelma violaceopes
    Psalmopoeus Cambridgei
    Psalmopoeus irminia

Leave a comment:

• Raymond John Gerber
    replied
    Introductions!

He he he 😆

Ray-Nature Conservator

Leave a comment:

• Arron Hooks
    replied
    Originally posted by Kate Arbon View Post
    Could be a hybrid? I imagine with species that look so similar an inexperienced breeder might easily cross-breed them.
    Aye, one possibility but my least favourite one. Guess I can only wait for a moult now. I don't like disturbing her in the enclosure too much.
    Last edited by Arron Hooks; 21-12-12, 05:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Kate Arbon
    replied
    Could be a hybrid? I imagine with species that look so similar an inexperienced breeder might easily cross-breed them.

Leave a comment:

• Arron Hooks
    replied
    From the picture I linked it is not completely black with the fringe or the triangle, its kind of 50/50 black/orange, although the triangle seems more prominent.

Leave a comment:

• Peter Lacey
    replied
    The carapace of B. smithi should be completely black with orange/red fringe whereas B. annitha should only have a black triangle on predominantly orange/red carapace with some stridulating lines all pointing towards the centre.

Leave a comment:

• Arron Hooks
    replied
    Fair enough. Now to find out if I have a Smithi with a light carapace or an Annitha.

Leave a comment:

• Peter Lacey
    replied
    That paper is from 2000, whereas the information above is from Platnik's list and clearly states more up to date, peer reviewed papers

Leave a comment:

• Arron Hooks
    replied
    Originally posted by Peter Lacey View Post
    mf annitha Tesmoingt, Cleton & Verdez, 1997....................Mexico [urn:lsid:amnh.org:spidersp:001853]
    B. a. Tesmoingt, Cleton & Verdez, 1997a: 9, pl. 1-6 (Dmf; N.B.: specific name considered a noun in apposition rather than a patronym).
    B. a. Tesmoingt, Cleton & Verdez, 1997b: 2, pl. 7-8, 11 (m).
    B. a. Peters, 2000a: 64, f. 205-207 (mf).
    B. a. Peters, 2003: 108, f. 428, 435-436 (mf).
    That's good enough for me!
    That would be too but then http://www.cites.org/eng/cop/11/doc/11_04_02.pdf "b) B. annitha and B. harmorii are synonyms of B. smithii." hence the confusion. I guess I will leave it until the molt and see if I can get it sent off to someone experienced in differentiating the two.

Leave a comment:

• Peter Lacey
    replied
    mf annitha Tesmoingt, Cleton & Verdez, 1997....................Mexico [urn:lsid:amnh.org:spidersp:001853]
    B. a. Tesmoingt, Cleton & Verdez, 1997a: 9, pl. 1-6 (Dmf; N.B.: specific name considered a noun in apposition rather than a patronym).
    B. a. Tesmoingt, Cleton & Verdez, 1997b: 2, pl. 7-8, 11 (m).
    B. a. Peters, 2000a: 64, f. 205-207 (mf).
    B. a. Peters, 2003: 108, f. 428, 435-436 (mf).
    That's good enough for me!

Leave a comment:

• Arron Hooks
    replied
    I meant Sub-Adult not South African . I am a bit more confident that this shop knew the sex, the one I went to just before looked at 8 wild caught rose hairs he had and said 'yep, they all look female'. I shall wait until the molt before I am 100% sure.

More concerned on the Smithi/Annitha thing though, but I doubt I will ever get to know. Official line is Annitha is a separate species. Other side are saying the guy who described it is a joke and many consider Annitha to be a colour morph of Smithi. Most of the threads I read date back to 2006 so I wondered if there was any recent development.

Leave a comment:

• Raymond John Gerber
    replied
    Introductions!

Who is the breeder from S.A?? Usually one sends the molt with as proof of sex, but with no molt thats always an indication the sex is unknown most of the time chap! I've been suckered a few times with one or 2 guys here and if u ever need to buy please let me know as I can point u in the right direction with some honest guys😊

Ray-Nature Conservator

Leave a comment:

• Arron Hooks
    replied
    Anyone familiar with the differences between B. Smithi and B. Annitha? Bought her from a pet shop for £60 as a SA female B. Smithi, guy told me they sexed her from the moult. From what I can gather online the distinction between the two is an absolute mess! If I ever breed her it would be nice to know! Picture taken with my phone, don't have access to a proper camera sadly.

Edit: it is the carapace that is throwing me off, I expected to see more black but doing some more reading I honestly don't know any more. It is a can of worms I wish I never opened.
    Last edited by Arron Hooks; 20-12-12, 02:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Raymond John Gerber
    replied
    Introductions!

Hi all. Not that im an expert at tarantulas, but relatively new for at least the last year building my collection and learning from all the tarantula experts out there 😊i work for South African national parks working with all African animal and plant species and love working with my T's every night i get home. I have avics and pokies and pokies being my favorite one o them all. I can say this ,that avics are much much more docile in terms of its temperament in comparison to any other pokie!! My metallica's are aggressive and actually tag that brush all the time when i work inside the enclosure,but with the T's in general i dnt handle any by hand because all T's are so sensitive and know when they on another living animal hence they want off. Working with avics no problem I've never been shown aggressive behavior from them.

Ray-Nature Conservator

Leave a comment:

• Kate Arbon
    replied
    Originally posted by Peter Roach View Post
    To advise anyone that any Avicularia and Poecilotheria are similar in temperament is putting it plainly is just plain stupidity and shows a total lack of knowledge of either genus. Likewise the habitat is different for both species.
    Yeah this gave me a bit of a surprised chuckle.

To elaborate Rob, avics are generally known for being relatively docile. Pokies... not so much Skittish and fast and can be defensive, though I've heard in pokie terms metallicas are one of the calmer species.

Also expect to drop a LOT more money on a P. met than on an avic.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X