Yippee, a molt!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yippee, a molt!

After hiding out under her half pot yesterday my G.rosea surprised us with her old skin tis morning!

My Collection: - Spiders are everywhere, so live with it
    Ray Gabriel

good for you, bet she is looking a quite a bit bigger now.

Comment

bet she is looking a quite a bit bigger now
      Well, not that much bigger but there is some difference, and she looks very pale which being a pink spider looks rather cute! Hope its a female in that case,lol
      She is still hiding out under the pot till her exo hardens off fully
      Ray Gabriel

Comment

Congratulations..

When they mature you'll see a difference. The carapace will change to a pinkish/purple colour.. The pedipalp and legs I will turn a little a little turqoise if, you shine some light on it.

Comment

I took the lid of her 'tank' last night to have a look, and she crawled out onto my hand! It didnt bother me but being so small I had to be careful in getting back in her home. She's too small to pick up in the conventional way so my partner suggested letting her walk onto a spoon, and lowering the whole lot into the tank. And she doesnt like spiders at all!
          Ray Gabriel

Comment

How big is she? Cant relly tell by the pics...

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Carpenter
              How big is she? Cant relly tell by the pics...
              Well, I reckon body length(excluding legs) is about 45mm in length, or about the length of my first finger joint on my index finger.
              I decided to feed her today, put ina couple crickets and she was backing away from them when one ventured into the pot. she was almost vertical on her back legs as if to say' get it away from me'!
              Later she left the safety of the pot and is now in a strange position, in the top corner of the tank, head down.
              (The 'tank' a small microwave container,is only about 2 1/2 inches deep)
              No webbing yet, is that normal?

Heres her tank, pre molt:
              (BTW, it looks quite damp in there, Ive since amended that and its much drier now)

The tank on top houses a veracious Tegenaria domestica, who had another molt tonight! Now he looks bigger and I say he as I can see his pedipalp bulges now
              Ray Gabriel

Comment

Ok setp but may want to remove that water bowl as its little big and could be hazard, a much smaller cap or lid, def sallower but the best water method at that size is just mist the tank every day to every other day and they can drink droplets

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Smith (pe@nut)
                  Ok setp but may want to remove that water bowl as its little big and could be hazard, a much smaller cap or lid, def sallower but the best water method at that size is just mist the tank every day to every other day and they can drink droplets

But its just a cap off a water bottle,couldnt find anything smaller!
                  Ray Gabriel

Comment

wow The cap looks a lot bigger in the pic, I thought it was a coffee jar lid or something. My mistake, bottle cap shouldnt be too bad.

Comment

in the top tank.. Thats a house spider right??? i'am not to good with the proper names yet but it does loook like one. And the webbing well mine as spun loads but i surpose it depends on the spider.

Comment

why do people keep house spiders is there anything special bout them like there is with tarantulas ?
                        B.Smithi
                        G.Rosea (RCF)
                        B.Vagans
                        P.Irminia
                        A.Avicularia
                        L.Parahybana

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Carpenter
                          in the top tank.. Thats a house spider right??? i'am not to good with the proper names yet but it does loook like one. And the webbing well mine as spun loads but i surpose it depends on the spider.
                          Yep, its a house spider alright, and it recently molted again-now i can tell itds a male.
                          BTW, its name is Tegenaria domestica.
                          Ray Gabriel

Comment

Originally posted by James Metcalf
                            why do people keep house spiders is there anything special bout them like there is with tarantulas ?
                            Well, I dont know if anyone else does kep them, but they are rather cool, and a lot smaller than a full grown T (tho with proportionally longer legs if a male) so theyre easier to accomodate if you dont have much room.
                            And its a voracious predator. You put a cricket or moth in there and BAM it pounces on it straight away!
                            Ray Gabriel

Comment

I suppose keeping a house spider would be good practice if you want a T but never owned one before i guess. Ive had house spiders in tubs when I was a kid cos taranutlas I was always going to have in life. I have kept yard spiders and wolf spiders too, cant remember the scientific names off top of head, the yard spider was a good size and was gestating cos she laid an egg sac which was cool. had a pair of wood lice spiders that found in garden kept out of curiosity and they have a real set of fangs on them.

Comment

Working...
                              X