X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pamphobeteus sp. S.E. Peru

The infamous Chicken Spider!
    Attached Files
    The things that come to those who wait may be the things left by those who got there first!

Heres some I have not published before
    Attached Files
    The things that come to those who wait may be the things left by those who got there first!

Comment

I love these pics! Fantastic, thanks!
      Lasiodora parahybana

Comment

Great stuff. That's a gorgeous spider

It must be amazing to see the youngsters parading after their mother!

My Collection:

Comment

It was the most incredible thing I've ever seen in 12 years of doing this - something of Goliath size living with 50 or so juveniles up to the size of a Chile rose. Here is one of the juveniles
          Attached Files

Comment

I just find it remarkable that there's no evidence of cannibalism. I guess there must be plenty of other food about

My Collection:

Comment

nice pics, i found the BBC article about your trip too,

Martin Nicholas has earned the nickname Spiderman because of the hundreds of spiders which share his tiny flat in Bracknell.

i typed chicken spider into google and got loads of articles about martin and his spider hunt
              Last edited by lee smith; 14-12-06, 02:51 PM.
              Reptile Rescue Hull Volunteer,
              Invert Rescue Hull manager,

A.avicularia, G.rosea, B.smithi, B.albopilosa
              P.murinus, H.lividum, L.parahybana, C.cyaneopubescens

Comment

Several generations co-habiting in a burrow?!! That's amazing...
                Lasiodora parahybana

Comment

how many did you collect to study/breed?? also are these the black goliaths that ive heard some people talking about??

i listened the the bbc radio program of your trek hunting for it and it was really good.

this place also has some of martin's documentarys as well http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/database.html search for "spider" in the "deep jungle" show catagory
                  Last edited by lee smith; 15-12-06, 07:16 PM.

Comment

They tend to tie rocks to your feet and push you into the river if you take wildlife without permission in Tambopata! Everything I observed and wrote about has been in-situ research over the course of 5 visits and a total of about 60 days in the forest. All captured specimens, weighed, measured and returned to their burrow un-harmed!

Geographically they could not be further from Goliath (NE South America) as opposed to SW for the Chicken spider, plus it is definately a Pamphobeteus sp (Andy Smith keyed out my one preserved specimen that I was allowed to bring back - now in BMNH)

I don't think I'm aware of the "Black Goliath" but whats in a name I guess? you got any more info / photos?

I did an article for the BTS Journal a year or so ago that goes into the Ethology more than I can here - thats a good place to get more info on this species. The TV and radio shows are for the masses really!

Comment

ive tryed to find the posts on the onther forums about black goliaths, but cant find them again .

will there be some carefull collection of some of the chicken spiders for study and breeding?? as this would be a amazeing species to have in a collection.

if a couple of people like yourself were allowed to collect some it would be great as you could work on the study and captive breeding of them.

Comment

is there any new news or info on this new species??

ps. the black goliaths i found out were mis id'd L.parahybana.

Comment

fascinating story! what an amazing tarantula!! beautiful pics, too.
                          Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                          -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
                          My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Phew, we all still wait with baited breath for the outcome of Craig's breeding attempt with these! What size is the mother in the pics Martin?
                            Thanks

Comment

These pictures are incredible and remind me somewhat of Aragog the Acromantula from the Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets film

Wait until 2m23s

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQAHD78jY84[/ame]
                              Gloria my little Brachypelma smithi.

Comment

Working...
                              X