Thread: BTS Chatroom Rules and Regulations

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Exclamation BTS Chatroom Rules and Regulations

BTS chat room
    Please read the following rules on the chat room use
    The BTS Chat rooms are now open. You will have to register on this forum first and follow the rules of this forum. Please use your real name as stated. Users without genuine email accounts or found to be using false names or pretending to be someone else will be banned from the room and the BTS. Which includes the Annual exhibition and Dinner and Lectures. These rules are in place to make the BTS Chat room a safe and friendly place to talk and discuss tarantulas and other topics.

Rules of the chat room:
    (1). During scheduled chat sessions with guests, users must keep all questions to the subject matter only. After the hour is up then and only then will random chat be excepted.

(2). No personal attacks or slanderous remarks, the use of bad language will not be to allowed, there is a censor script running but this is no excuse.

(3). When replying to or asking a question please use the users name before the questions, this will cut down confusion for inexperienced users and make it easier for the guest to reply accurately.

Example:
    Joe Bloggs to Fred Bloggs , in answer to your question, yes I have B,smithi

(4). On entering the chat room, go to the options and change the colour of your text. Try and pick a colour not in use. The options button is found in the bottom frame next to the post message button.

(5). Enjoy the chat!

(6) Please be advised that the chat room logs all text. However private messages are indeed private.

Failing to adhere to rules 1 and 2, you will be kicked out of the chat-room, even if I am not present in the room there are moderators who can do this action. A second offence will result in a total IP address lockout. BTS Webmaster (admin)
    Regards Mark Pennell BTS Webmaster
    Last edited by Mark Pennell; 08-01-07 at 08:47 AM.

------------------------------------------------------
    Serious Ink tattoo studio -Earth Tiger Tour
    Guided trips to Borneo and beyond
    Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

When is the next gest chat & who is it with?

I've never seen anyone in the chat room which is quite a shame as there are other well attended chat rooms around. Perhaps we could see this rejuvenated with a questions and answers theme. Invite a guest along to talk about a given subject, Q&As on upcoming exhibition, Future field search plans, Breeding success etc.
    Perhaps if a weekly, or even monthly time slot was given people might attend and in turn this might encourage the use of the chat room further.
    My Collection - Summer 2011

This is one of the little extras i've had buzzing around in my head for a while Peter, and yet again have put it on the back burner for a while.

I had an idea about a "Friday night live" type thing where we could either have a celebrity (within the field) guest, or one of our own (as it were) answering questions about breeding, taxonomy etc etc.
    Martin Nicholas springs to mind for one (diary permitting of course) and i'm sure i mentioned it in passing to Rick West when i contacted him last year for some of his logos for my web site (he's been involved in similar before)
    A general "live" discussion on an allocated topic would be acceptable too,

On AP there is the shout box on the main page, and i've been wondering if this would be a good idea to have one here so we can contact eachother in real time to drop into "chat", at present PM'ing is the ony way around this and people dont check their messages every two minutes (well i do, but thats work for you)

Maybe Mark could have a think about the pros and cons for the idea and (work load permitting) put into action something along these lines.
    Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Nice to see you've gone all green on us Colin.
    Thats exactly what I'm thinking, and more. Plus the shout box is a great way of getting some very quick replies as well as some informal chat. Its almost a shame to have to go elsewhere to experience this although admittedly some other forums have a more relaxed umbrella.
    My Collection - Summer 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lacey View Post
    Thats exactly what I'm thinking, and more. Plus the shout box is a great way of getting some very quick replies as well as some informal chat. Its almost a shame to have to go elsewhere to experience this although admittedly some other forums have a more relaxed umbrella.

Colin and Peter
    I am in the process of organising a VIP chat night with Andrew Smith! The chat room is under used and our normal Saturday night chat has not happened for years since the old chat room when crazy and died!

The new script works a treat and is super quick yet I did not want it to be just another chat room which loses direction in a few lines.

Hence the idea was to have guest chats and this will happen and Andrew is going to be our first one.

I removed the shoutbox ages ago due to the heavy traffic the forum was getting the shoutbox slowed it down. Its still there just deactivated.

Regards
    Mark

------------------------------------------------------
    Serious Ink tattoo studio -Earth Tiger Tour
    Guided trips to Borneo and beyond
    Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lacey View Post
    Peter....firstly, have an *absolutely* HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

It's one thing to have a *relaxed umbrella*...but this place/forum is a lot more relaxing to be amongst, and still remains my favourite zone for news, reviews, photos etc. I'd not want to see a shoutbox in action in here...in case it changed the essence of what we have. Would half the questions we see on the boards still get asked? Would people want to search through shoutbox messages to find info they wanted? Would there be a risk of it being treated like a dating service?
    Thanks to the hard work of Mark and the online team we have a pretty darn special haven here, and I think a shoutbox would detract from it....whereas organised chat nights with good rules/codes of conduct keeps this place special and a lot less frenetic feeling.

That's my "self-righteous Victor Meldrew moment" anyhow...lol...so Admin and crew...keep up the fab work, and thanks for sheltering us wandering eccentrics!