Phoneutria fera, Brazilian Wandering spider, Peru and French Guyana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phoneutria fera, Brazilian Wandering spider, Peru and French Guyana

The Jungle form of the Brazilian Wandering or "Armed" Spider. The Pink form is from French Guyana, the sandy-coloured form from Peru. Notice Red-flashes on the chelicerae and the yellow flashes under the front legs for warning.
    Attached Files
    The things that come to those who wait may be the things left by those who got there first!

Awesome arachnid! nice find Martin!
    A man who makes no mistakes makes nothing.

Comment

Nice spider-I wonder if its related to Dolomedes and Pisaura?
      My Collection: - Spiders are everywhere, so live with it
      Ray Gabriel

Comment

While its a large hunting spider like Dolomedes and Pisaurdae, Phoneutria is a Ctenidae, found in tropical and sub-tropical regions from S. America to S.E. Asia. Phoneutria is the only genus of the family proven to give a potentially dangerous (sometimes fatal) bite.
        The things that come to those who wait may be the things left by those who got there first!

Comment

Great photos Martin. Gabriel needs to have a look. I don't know why he has a thing against Ctenidae; they are my faves after theraphosids. I'm going to send you a private message regarding these images.

Kind regards, Michael
          MICHAEL JACOBI - exoticfauna@gmail.com
          -> Exotic Fauna, The Tarantula Bibliography, ARACHNOCULTURE E-Zine - exoticfauna.com
          -> The British Tarantula Society - thebts.co.uk
          | michael.jacobi@thebts.co.uk
          -> TARANTULAS.com - tarantulas.com

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Nicholas View Post
            The Jungle form of the Brazilian Wandering or "Armed" Spider. The Pink form is from French Guyana, the sandy-coloured form from Peru. Notice Red-flashes on the chelicerae and the yellow flashes under the front legs for warning.
            Martin,

remember me?

The two first pictures show Phoneutria reidyi, this is not a "pink" morph, that is geographically linked to French - Guyana, this species looks just like this, regardless if collected in FG or Peru.

The last one is Phoneutria boliviensis.

Regards,

Stefan

Comment

Working...
            X