UV Scorpion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UV Scorpion

An image of a 2nd instar moult scorpion "nymph" (pandinus imperator)

When first born an Ultraviolet LED bulb was focused on the mother and babies, only the mother showed to fluoresce.
    Only after the babies had left their mother and moulted into 2nd instar were they found to fluoresce after the cuticle layer had hardened when viewed under this simple UV bulb.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	uvscorp.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	95208
    (Excuse the quality, infra red focusing doesn't work too well in UV....this was taken in pitch black)
    The pots are fluorescing a bit as they use UV dye in the manufacturing of the plastic.

The fluorescence is believed to be an ultraviolet sensitivity mechanism, maybe to allow the scorpion to avoid damaging light levels. The fluorescence is caused by an, as yet, unidentified chemical in a very thin layer in the cuticle of the scorpion which is called the hyaline layer. Freshly moulted adult scorpions do not fluoresce untill the cutical layer has hardened thus leading to the supposition that the chemical is only released into the hyaline soon after moulting or that the "tanning or hardening" process is responsible for producing this fluorescent chemical as a by product.

Whatever it is or does...it's fascinating !!!

Very cool! Do you have to use one of those black lamps to do this? And can you not pre focus on the spot, the postition the scorp prior to photographing? Having said that, the focus is pretty good!
    My Collection: - Spiders are everywhere, so live with it
    Ray Gabriel

Comment

Very nice picture....quality is good dont worry.
      Dan.

Comment

I used an LED torch that has had the normal white LED replaced with a UV LED for this shot, you could use an ultraviolet fluoro lamp for a more intense UV lighting effect though i find some times with little creatures like this the picture gets "white out" and you lose all detail (works on adults no problem).

I prefocus (using tripod) on the area normally (although this was hand held),but all it takes is the scorpion to move a millimetre when the appatures open and the shots blurred.
        I'll get a setup tripod shot with a full fluoro lamp soon and post it up

Comment

Well, you did well, good capture!
          My Collection: - Spiders are everywhere, so live with it
          Ray Gabriel

Comment

oh my god , how cool is that, see know i want one..NOW..
            ONE OF THE HARDEST THINGS IN LIFE, IS TRYING TO EXPLAIN TO A WOMEN THAT EVEN A BARGAIN COST`S MONEY

Comment

Wait for the bts Show Wayne, there'll be hundreds for sale

Comment

Working...
              X