This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi folks

Thought I would introduce myself for those that don't know me. I used to be very active on the hobby 10-12 years ago but due to job, health, family, etc. commitments decided to sell up and then promptly vanished off the face of the earth!

I finally cleared out my shed this summer of practically all my spider gear that I had kept (several trips to the tip) so I should have guessed that I would decide to buy some more before long. Luckily I had put some of the unused heat mats and pots up the loft. (I even had some antique peat moss/vermiculite in a bag)

So here I am with a B.boehmei that was actually the same size as advertised and two microscopic A.geniculata that were obviously measured from a few feet away! My T. room is now a very nice hidey hole for me ,complete with Pc, books and even a settee, so I am going to try very hard to stick to three. Although I may have to go to four as it would be nice to have at least one C.cyaneopubescens after all the time I spent trying to set up a breeding program for them.

Hopefully I will see some of you at the shows but please remember NOT to sell me anything!

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy Laurie View Post
      Hi folks

Thought I would introduce myself for those that don't know me. I used to be very active on the hobby 10-12 years ago but due to job, health, family, etc. commitments decided to sell up and then promptly vanished off the face of the earth!

I finally cleared out my shed this summer of practically all my spider gear that I had kept (several trips to the tip) so I should have guessed that I would decide to buy some more before long. Luckily I had put some of the unused heat mats and pots up the loft. (I even had some antique peat moss/vermiculite in a bag)

So here I am with a B.boehmei that was actually the same size as advertised and two microscopic A.geniculata that were obviously measured from a few feet away! My T. room is now a very nice hidey hole for me ,complete with Pc, books and even a settee, so I am going to try very hard to stick to three. Although I may have to go to four as it would be nice to have at least one C.cyaneopubescens after all the time I spent trying to set up a breeding program for them.
      Welcome back, Roy!
      Originally posted by Roy Laurie View Post
      Hopefully I will see some of you at the shows but please remember NOT to sell me anything!
      i cannot promise to do this. Sorry :P
      Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
      -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
      My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

• Hello all,

My name's Michael and I'm a new member of the BTS.
        I have only recently got into the hobby.
        I discovered the BTS from several books I was reading, so I decided to come and have a look and signed up.

At the moment I only have four tarantulas (Avicularia versicolor, Brachypelma smithi, Hapalopus sp Colombia and a Pterinochilus murinus), but I'm sure the number won't stay that low for long.

Comment

• Since my last post the number of tarantulas I own has doubled to eight.
          I went to pick up an Acanthoscurria geniculata and a Psalmopoeus irminia last night and came back with another two also (Brachypelma albopilosum and Brachypelma vagans slings).

Comment

• Hullo
            my names mike; been into the hobby for a fair few years, only just bought a membership
            used to help my dad with his Ts and now have a collection of my own!
            (17..... For now)

im hoping to jump into the mix and help promote others in this fascinating and highly addictive hobby
            although I love all Ts I have a weakness for any poecilotheria species.. And blue coloured Ts!! (Hence why I'm crazed with the P.Mets haha)

Look forward to seeing/meeting peeps at the next lecture / exhibition! (I don't have many friends who share the same enthusiasm for these gorgeous creatures and need some people in my life that do
            If anyone's interested as I haven't had my membership through fully yet, I have a MM P.Ornata and Hetercrates gigas so let me know

Comment

• Hi everyone,
              My name is Deon and I'm a tarantaholic from South Africa. I have been in the hobby for a while and have a special fascination with big terrestrials. I am active on a few local forums and administrator on TCSA (The Tarantula Club of South Africa), a non profit club with forum on facebook. I keep 26 T's presently and I'm always learning and sharing knowledge locally. I have considered joining BTS for some time and finally got around to it. I hope to get answers here that evade us in South Africa, because the hobby is still very young here.

Comment

• Howdy!

My name is Cedric, 39. I'm originally from France, but have lived in Ireland for 17 years.

I recently acquired my first 3 spiderlings : a grammostola smithi, grammostola pulchra and avicularia versicolor. I also have a strong fascination for chromatopelma cyanopubescens and lampropelma violaceopes, I've been reading and watching a lot of information about those fascinating creatures for the past year.

Outside of the spider world, I work as a software consultant, and am also an amateur soccer table player.

I would consider myself a total novice, but I hope to learn from reading and discussing with other members on this forum,

Looking forward to meeting you all!

Comment

• Hello all,

I'm Jenny, from Lincolnshire and new to tarantulas - after wanting to get into the hobby for several years!

Got my first T, a Grammostola rosea a few weeks ago and now have a Brachypelma boehmei on the way at the weekend. I can see how addictive the hobby gets - forming a wish list already! Bought my membership of the BTS last week.

Looking forward to learning loads more.

Thanks,

Jenny

Comment

• Hello everyone,
                    Thought i should finally introduce myself as i have been a member since last October but have not posted yet.
                    I have not been in the hobby that long but think i have quite a good collection so far with 35 t's.
                    I currently have
                    Avicularia Versicolour
                    Avicularia Avicularia x 2
                    Avicularia sp Purpurea
                    Avicularia Minatrix
                    Avicularia Diversipes

Brachypelma Smithi
                    Brachypelma Klaasi
                    Brachypelma Albopilosum x 3

Monocentropus Balfouri

Gramastola Porteri x 3
                    Gramastola Pulchrapes x3

Poecilotheria Smithi
                    Poecilotheria Hhanumavilasumica
                    Poecilotheria Ornata
                    Poecilotheria Tigrinawesseli
                    Poecilotheria Subfusca H/L
                    Poecilotheria Vitatta
                    Poecilotheria Regalis
                    Poecilotheria Striata

Psalmopoeus Reduncus
                    Psalmopoeus Cambridgei

Lasiodora Parahybana x 2

Haplopelma Vonworthi
                    Haplopelma Lividum

Pterinochilus Murinus x 2

Tapinauchenius Cupreus

Just looking to learn and help out anyone i can.

cheers
                    Sam

Comment

• This is actually a re-introduction, as I first joined this board several years ago. I had several Brachypelmas and a G. rosea back then. I'm back again, with a Mexican Orangebeauty (B. baumgarteni) and planning to acquire an arboreal species (still deciding which) and a L. parahybana. I'd like to learn how to keep species that have different housing needs and characteristics.

Looking forward to reading posts and learning new things! I'm no fount of tarantular wisdom (yet) but I'll be sure to put in my two cents when I can.
                      "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Comment

• Hi Sam, welcome to the forum, you've got a good selection there, they do tend to be addictive, once you start,

Comment

• Welcome back Patti, the L. Parahybana are a great T, robust, long lived and grow to a good size.

Comment

• Just thought I would say Hello to all of you. I have only owned tarantulas for about a year now and I can not wait to own a few more of theses fascinating creatures. I can spend hours just watching them move things around in their homes. I didn't realise that they could actually carry dirt around let alone a plastic water dish lol.
                            I only have a few at the moment.
                            My T's so far, G. Pulchripes , C. Cyaneopubescens, B. Vagans, B. Albopilosum, B. boehmei, L. parahybana.
                            Of course I have other pets including snakes and lizards along with the more usual pets

Look forward to chatting with you sharing my opinion and hopefully learning alot from the more experienced members.

Comment

• Hi guys, Im new here and I very interested in getting involved with some new tarantulas. I've heard that Eupalaestrus Campestratus are a good one to start with. Any suggestions?

Comment

• E campestratus is an excellent first choice (but grow veeeeeeeery slow!). As are Euathlus sp. if you don't mind them to be not so big. Otherwise, the classic answer would be: Grammostola spp. or Brachypelma spp. are good first terrestrial T. For arboreal, Avicularia spp. are good first T.

Anyway, the final risk is: in less than one year, you will have more than thirty different species in your little home! Who said: addictive?!
                                Come and visit us: http://mygales.esy.es

Comment

Working...
                                X