Page 1 of 21 1211 ... LastLast

Thread: Introductions!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Introductions!

Hi all,
    i'm James, oddly enough, and i'm new to the board.
    i've been into arachnids for a few years now (Emperor scorpions), and tarantulas since the convention of 06 in Birmingham, when i got a couple Ceratogyrus Darlingi's...oh how i loved them! alas, they were male (one was marketed as female and i didn't then know how to sex), and they both passed on.
    my current collection of invertebrates is
    5 Emperor scorpions
    5 Millipedes (three kinds, can't recall the exact names now)
    2 Chilean Rose sub-adults
    1 Curly Hair
    1 Suntiger subadult

of course, i'm not satisfied yet...i wanted a Trinidad Chevron as well as a Redleg...plus saw a really nice giant Centipede at the convention that seemed quite active. also, a colony of whipscorpions wouldn't go amiss!

From one newbie to another welcome!
    Have heard of a few people that keep millipeeds, but not sure they are quite to my liking. I also want a red leg, but then I want all the Brachypelma species!

i'm with you there...i'm also interested in the Aphonopelma genus as well. all the docile ones are great, though i've no issues with nervous or aggressive spiders. i loved my C Darlingi, afterall!

i love my millis! i'd recommend them to anyone. they're easy to feed as they eat old to rotting vegetables, which can mean fruit flies...but not if you keep on top of it.
    they're inquisitive and docile animals, once they get over their initial shyness, and the sensation of their hundreds of legs walking on you is quite cool!
    i say they're docile, but one was chewing on me yesterday. not sure why it thought i was a plant, but at least it didn't hurt more then a minor scratch!
    the only thing to check on is the number of mites they have. i've often heard that they have a symbiotic relationship with "helper" mites, but they can apparently be irritated by them if there are too many.

Hullo!

Nice collection. I fully expect to see it expand rapidly.

Nice starter species, too. My first two were a pair of Trinidad Chevron slings, raised to adulthood with few hiccups. I was surprised when I heard people talk about their aggression and unsuitability as beginner tarantulas.

I've thought about millis, especially after seeing the impressive variety at the BTS show. But with everything else I bought, I'll have to see if I have the space...

And yes: the Brachypelma genus can be addictive.

Colin D Wilson Guest

Hi james and welcome.

Like you, we keep milipedes and have the Giant african (for one of the common names) we have two sharing a 4ft x 3ft x 2ft enclosure with three whites tree frogs in a mini "ecosystem". with the addition of about 50 or so woodlice we dont have to "clean out" very often as the waste products from each gets eaten by the next one down on the list as it were.

This is the place for gaining info and others experience in the tarantula hobby, if you feel like you're ready for your next T, post in the classifieds or bulletin board and i'm sure someone will answer you. dont forget the shops that post here too such as the spidershop and tarantulashop, in my opinion better priced and better quality than your usual local pet shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin D Wilson View Post
    ont forget the shops that post here too such as the spidershop and tarantulashop, in my opinion better priced and better quality than your usual local pet shop.
    I'll second that, my local pet shop's trying to flog a 4cm B Smithi for £55, a 10cm P Murinus for £55 and a 10cm T Blondi for £65...

I told him I'd give him £50 for the lot (more than anything to take them away from the appalling conditions they're currently residing in) but no joy.

His response was "someone will pay that price for them"... nuff said!

Oh and welcome James!

Hi James and welcome to the forum

Elaine

Give me all your Avics !!!!!

Default hello everyone

hello
    i have been into spidres for about ten years now
    At the moment i have got a mexican red knee and a guyanan pink toe ,i will soon be adding a brazillan black and an antilles pink toe ,if it was just my choice i would have the room full of theese wonderful creatures

Welcome Owain
    spider woman at Wilkinsons

Default New guy on the block

Just wanted to introduce myself. Name here is August Wageman. I live in the USA. Currently keeping 3 T's.

Page 1 of 21 1211 ... LastLast