Cupiennius sp. Panama.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cupiennius sp. Panama.

I found this Cupiennius in a very large bromeliad in Panama in June 2005. She had webbed herself in, i removed the silk covering the entrance and out she came rearing up, egg-sack in tow.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jimmy Dale; 30-05-07, 07:01 PM. Reason: nomenclatural discrepancy

What is it?

By the way, cuppienius is my best guess. If anybody thinks otherwise then let me know. Also any help on a full binomial would be very much appreciated. Cheers.

Comment

The best Guess I could throw in there Is Ctenidae, I can't Identify genus from that photo, Maybe someone else can Id by colouration?

A quick search yielded this image, the spiders colouration of orange top and light underside seems to match yours.
      Last edited by Chris Wheeler (Gigus); 30-05-07, 12:28 AM.

Comment

I guess you were talking about this one? http://www.americanarachnology.org/H...yc_ctenid.html

I thought they looked very similar, but the one in the above link is from cooler montane regions of costa rica while the one i found was around coastal lowland.
        It's not in M.Jacobi's informative article about Ctenids either. So what could it be? There's a melted snickers which i've had in my back pocket for lunch for the person with the correct answer!

Comment

A snickers you say?!

Cupiennius getazi Locale, Costa Rica & Panama.

Comment

We have a winner! A melted snickers is on it's way to you*.

*Actual Prize may vary, terms and conditions may apply.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy Dale View Post
              It's not in M.Jacobi's informative article about Ctenids either.
              Just to clarify, the Cupiennius article in ARACHNOCULTURE 2(2), which is the first of a three-part series on Ctenidae, was written by German arachnoculturist and true spider breeder Stefan Hillebrecht, not me. His second article in the series (Phoneutria) will appear in ARACHNOCULTURE 2(4).

All the best, Michael
              MICHAEL JACOBI - exoticfauna@gmail.com
              -> Exotic Fauna, The Tarantula Bibliography, ARACHNOCULTURE E-Zine - exoticfauna.com
              -> The British Tarantula Society - thebts.co.uk
              | michael.jacobi@thebts.co.uk
              -> TARANTULAS.com - tarantulas.com

Comment

I'll look forward to seeing that Michael, 2(2) was the first issue i bought. I like the layout and the articles are well detailed. Nice mag!

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy Dale View Post
                  It's not in M.Jacobi's informative article about Ctenids either.
                  Hi there,

not included in the article you say...

I don´t think so. I covered both large and colorfull species of that genus that are both around in European captive care.

With the spider you found and pictured here it´s most likely C. getazi as Chris already mentioned.

Note leg coloration and leg undersides...

Not to mention that there´s at least one more species of Cupiennius around that´s not even listed in PLATNICK to be around there...

Greetings,

Stefan

Comment

Stephan,
                    I realize now getazi is in your article. When i started this thread i didn't have a species name until Chris mentioned C. getazi (i changed the thread title later) so i wan't really sure if the spider in my photo was one of the species you covered.

Comment

Working...
                    X