B. smithi juvenile pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B. smithi juvenile pictures

Took these today and I thought I would share them.

Looking at the rump, do you think I have a moult due anytime soon?
    Gloria my little Brachypelma smithi.

Quite possibly, most of mine moult a few weeks after the abdomen starts looking a little rough.

Comment

I'd say he definitely looks pre-moult, but the problem with B. smithi is that pre-moult can last months, so it's hard to tell. My longest pre-moult for this species (dull colours, not eating, generally being a grumpy sod) was 3.5 months. But he was probably twice the size of Smiffy so hopefully you won't have to wait quite that long!

Comment

Siick man is that what my T. will look like as as a juvenile?? I thought they look more like house spiders at 3 cm!!!
        Li'l' Ice Cube the Brachypelma Smithi!!! (As of 13/05/08 !!) But, I'm still gonna refer to it as Ice Cube!
        Pyro the Brachypelma Auratum!!!!!!!!!!

Many, many thanks Louise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

So cute! Cant wait for mine to get looking like that. Right now he's so tiny! Probably be a couple of moults before mine looks like that.
          Proud owner of 48 Tarantulas and other pets.

Comment

Def looks pre-moult to me

Mine moulted last week and the abdomen was huge beforehand. He's still tiny though, even after moult lol.

Am curious to why you feed him everyday though? Is personal choice I suppose, but most, including me, only feed 2-3 times a week.
            Proud owner of 100+ Beautiful T's and other pets

Comment

Originally posted by Leanne King-Smith View Post

Mine moulted last week and the abdomen was huge beforehand. He's still tiny though, even after moult lol.

Am curious to why you feed him everyday though? Is personal choice I suppose, but most, including me, only feed 2-3 times a week.
              I only feed most of mine once a week, the Ornamentals twice. They very rarely accept food more often. I say leave it up to them how much they want feeding.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Freeman View Post
                I only feed most of mine once a week, the Ornamentals twice. They very rarely accept food more often. I say leave it up to them how much they want feeding.
                Yes, true
                Proud owner of 100+ Beautiful T's and other pets

Comment

Yes, true
                  To be honest the ornamentals are greedy as hell, if it was up to them they would eat every single day, adult locusts too, they dont mess about.

Comment

To be honest the ornamentals are greedy as hell, if it was up to them they would eat every single day, adult locusts too, they dont mess about.
                    I thought you said you 'leave it up to them how much THEY want to eat?'
                    BTW a quick question on locusts; do they tend to fly a lot? How is it like keeping them?
                    Li'l' Ice Cube the Brachypelma Smithi!!! (As of 13/05/08 !!) But, I'm still gonna refer to it as Ice Cube!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Shah View Post
                      I thought you said you 'leave it up to them how much THEY want to eat?'
                      BTW a quick question on locusts; do they tend to fly a lot? How is it like keeping them?
                      Sorry man, i can understand how contradictory that sounded, however i dont think it would be healthy to feed them every day, they get 2 to 4 adult locusts, offered twice a week.

In 15 yrs of keeping reptiles and spiders iv not experienced any of them actually fly, how ever they sometimes flap their wings like mad and jump crazy if you stick your hand in a tank of them.

Comment

Good, that's what I'm hoping too!

Smiffy would readily take a cricket every 3rd day or so, and only small crickets at that. About the size of an apple pip. I've had a feeling a moult was on its way, so to check I put a cricket in every morning (5am) and removed it again about 12-13 hours later. I was just checking Smiffy was off its food. Plus will the help on the forum I can say for sure a moult is just around the corner. So no crickets in there now until a week after the moult. If nothing has happened after a couple of days, I'll try another cricket. But at the moment, Smiffy just shys away from any food that comes into close proximity. Hope this clears things up.
                        Gloria my little Brachypelma smithi.

Comment

Sorry man, i can understand how contradictory that sounded, however i dont think it would be healthy to feed them every day, they get 2 to 4 adult locusts, offered twice a week.

In 15 yrs of keeping reptiles and spiders iv not experienced any of them actually fly, how ever they sometimes flap their wings like mad and jump crazy if you stick your hand in a tank of them.
                          Sorry man it is courtesy to reply to this message cuz only having a look back to what Smiffy looks like now I noticed you responded to my message I gave you - before I didn't notice this message!
                          Very well, I think I can manage them then, I'll try locusts after I get rid of the crickets. I sure hope they don't jump too much!!!
                          Thank you,
                          Richard!

Comment

Working...
                          X