Poecilotheria rufliata community (3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poecilotheria rufliata community (3)

My 3 x Poecilotheria rufilata (Redslate Ornamental) living in a sweet jar. Each about 4" now that the last one moulted last night \o/
    Always touching each other and moving around different parts of the enclosure. The sweet jar is clearer than the images show as it reflects lots of light but my intention is to rehouse them to either a 18x18x24 or 12x12x18 Exo-Terra.

Last edited by Peter Lacey; 05-12-10, 03:12 PM. Reason: sp. rufilata
    My Collection - Summer 2011

Nice simple setup there Peter.

I'd be inclined to go for the 12x12x18 from my experience, the larger tank would be a bit of a size jump.
    If you can get the spiders out then transplant this little setup (minus the bottle) as it is to a corner of the new tank, there would be a area they assosciate with for them to branch out from.
    all 13 of my regalis lived behind two smallish pieces of bark in the original tank, these were transplanted into the bottom of a 12x12x38 tank and they now have web tubes in every corner and crevice four months later, and most have doubled in size
    Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Still haven't moved these as they always seem to be in the wrong place at the wrong time!

Last night I was awarded a great sight with all 3 rufliata hanging from the lid next to each other, loads of legs!
      Earlier in the week I thought I had a fight on my hands and was at the ready for the "calm down, calm down" approach, but on closer inspection I realised 2 of the rufliata had grabbed a large locust and were playing tug of war - the locust lost and calm was returned!

Comment

Some one need to write a book "Pokie Training for Beginners"......I'd be first in the queue !!!

Always good to see them interacting though, never ceases to amaze me after all these years

Comment

Do the pokies have to be all introduced at the same time? Surely an adult would devour a sub adult or juvenile if it were introduced into the colony. Or do I need to read "Pokies for Dummies"?
          Gloria my little Brachypelma smithi.

Comment

Wes Flowers suggested he added Pokies from different breedings into the same enclosure. Mine are from the same sac and I'm hoping things will remain "cool" when I move over to the Exo.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Lacey View Post
              Wes Flowers suggested he added Pokies from different breedings into the same enclosure. Mine are from the same sac and I'm hoping things will remain "cool" when I move over to the Exo.
              Alright Peter, I spoke to you about these at the show, a mate of mine bought a beautiful rufilata off the stall you were at, about 5". They are some of the nicest pokies ive seen. I have a 2" one at the min which is cute. I actually prefere these to the metallicas i think.

I managed to get 5 spiderling Ornata's from the centre stand in the adjacent hall and will be keeping communally. They are currently in a small pal pen plastic container and are all eating crickets at will. I came down this morning and 3 of them were curled up in the top corner and 2 spread out on the side of the tank. Cheers for the inspiration mate, any advice regarding feeding ratio food/no of spiders and behavioural developments to look out for would be great and appreciated.

Comment

Hi Dave
                I remember the conversation, I was so glad when he bought it as I knew he'd get lots of pleasure from it. I was also quite tempted to buy it myself with a possible introduction to the new tank. So many Pokies look similar, black and white stripes of varying shades so its refreshing to see the ruffs and as one of you correctly pointed out they're known as the Red Slate ornamentals.
                I'm hoping to rehouse this week so I'll keep this thread updated.

I kept saying I'd revisit that stand with lots of Pokie slings, I think it was Thomas Vinmann, trouble is I couldn't decide whether to go for the ornata, pederseni or miranda. Missed the chance but maybe next time. I think the best advice I've been given is to provide plenty of food, a little moist with a spray twice a week, plenty of ventilation and approach everything slowly. That seems to be working well for me.
                If you pm me with your email addy I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have, although I'm off to band praccy now

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Lacey View Post
                  Hi Dave
                  I remember the conversation, I was so glad when he bought it as I knew he'd get lots of pleasure from it. I was also quite tempted to buy it myself with a possible introduction to the new tank. So many Pokies look similar, black and white stripes of varying shades so its refreshing to see the ruffs and as one of you correctly pointed out they're known as the Red Slate ornamentals.
                  I'm hoping to rehouse this week so I'll keep this thread updated.

I kept saying I'd revisit that stand with lots of Pokie slings, I think it was Thomas Vinmann, trouble is I couldn't decide whether to go for the ornata, pederseni or miranda. Missed the chance but maybe next time. I think the best advice I've been given is to provide plenty of food, a little moist with a spray twice a week, plenty of ventilation and approach everything slowly. That seems to be working well for me.
                  If you pm me with your email addy I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have, although I'm off to band praccy now
                  Worse news im afraid, despite plenty of food and water, I have lost one to cannabilism in just a few days. At least i think its that, im not sure as I came down to see one look like it was moltling. Then I saw another dragging it around. They are all of same size which is why i find it shocking. The weird thing is that the one dragging it around is still doing so 12 hours later. I hope this is a natural death and that the others are mourning so to speak. I have not witnessed any of them eating on it yet but there is definatelty a death victim.

Just dreading any others going. 4 or 5 was my ideal number.

Comment

Are they still in that jar? It could be a space issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Norris View Post
                      Are they still in that jar? It could be a space issue.
                      Its not mine in the jar.

Comment

so sorry to hear that Dave
                        I'll get a reply to you tomorrow, busy rehousing at mo.
                        I think for communities its always an experiment, so far my rufs have been great as I described on Sunday and I've had no probs with moulting. Obviously this is when the Ts are at the mercy of the others but mine don't have hiding places in their present enclosure.

Comment

unlucky with the death. suppose theres allways that risk with comunal set ups (if it was a canabilistic death). wish i could get more a versi's so i could have them communal... oh well... ill have to get some other T's that can live communaly in the future

Comment

Most A. versicolor communes that i have had, have dealt with and have been informed of have succome to cannabilism at the juvenile stage.
                            The longest running of these was a commune in an extra large enclosure where the occupants came in contact with each other very infrequently.

rough rule.....(with exceptions of course)
                            Pokies = close proximity with copious food
                            Avics = spacious enclosures with adequate food (A. sp. avicularia (guyana) a good choice)

Comment

cool. ta for the info

Comment

Working...
                              X