• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 new Ts - Blondi, OBT and Pokie

well, I went to the shop to get some crickets and came home with these 3

Blondi

OBT

Pokie

Could someone please tell me which species the pokie is? I was told, but forgot

Also, I've got her in a cereal container at the moment... is it too small??? it seems too small to me, but would like opinions before I re-house her again! here is a pic of her in situ

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Hi Faye, hope you don't mind i've moved this thread to the pix section due to content.
    As far as the spiders...three good choices there, the OBT looks all nicely settled in.

Any chance of an image of the underside of the pokie? The abdomen looks quite fasciata to me, however the legs have a rufilata appearence..

the cereal tub will be sufficient for another moult or two in my opinion
    Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Originally posted by Colin D Wilson View Post
      Hi Faye, hope you don't mind i've moved this thread to the pix section due to content.
      As far as the spiders...three good choices there, the OBT looks all nicely settled in.

Any chance of an image of the underside of the pokie? The abdomen looks quite fasciata to me, however the legs have a rufilata appearence..

the cereal tub will be sufficient for another moult or two in my opinion
      no problem re. moving it ta

The OBT is very settled - she came with her Exo Terra to save having to re-house her
      I'll try to get an image of the underside of the pokie - she's stretching out a bit more now too so I'll get a better dorsal shot too

Comment

you've made some great choices there!
        gorgeous Pokie and blondi, and the OBT seems to be doing what OBT's do best, lurking

i will be curious to see what that Pokie is...i went through all the species in the BTS galleries and nothing quite looks right!
        the front legs make me think of H maculata...lol
        Last edited by James Box; 21-08-08, 01:47 PM.
        Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
        -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->

Comment

I asked Sandy to pose nicely for some ventral pics and she obliged...
          sorry the pics aren't clear - the container isn't very see-through. I can try to get her in a clearer tub for pics if need be, but don't really want to disturb her til I know she's settled and eating etc.

Comment

Do you know the sex of these 3. Would you mind me asking how much you paid for these? I dont know what you would normaly pay and I want a rough idea. I plan to go to the BTS show next year and get more T's because I dont want to be ripped off. May be you could go back to the shop with her and ask them what she is. They should remember.

Comment

Originally posted by Lisa Grose View Post
              Do you know the sex of these 3. Would you mind me asking how much you paid for these? I dont know what you would normaly pay and I want a rough idea. I plan to go to the BTS show next year and get more T's because I dont want to be ripped off. May be you could go back to the shop with her and ask them what she is. They should remember.
              I'm sure the bloke will remember - he seemed very up on his spiders and gets most of his stock from Lee at the spider shop...
              They're all females and I paid £100 for the 3 spiders, an exo terra and some crickets, locusts and cork bark, so I couldn't tell you how much I paid for them individually

Comment

That seems reasonable. It is an idea. Thanks

Comment

The spider shop when it was at the bts show in coseley is where I got Dora from, my Lasiodora striatus. I could mail order with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Lisa Grose View Post
                    The spider shop when it was at the bts show in coseley is where I got Dora from, my Lasiodora striatus. I could mail order with them.
                    I have ordered from them directly - highly recommended

Comment

Tub looks fine to me.
                      Becky sent me a link a few weeks ago on ventral identification, quite surprisingly different considering many look very similar (black and white stripes). See if you can identify from this: http://www.froschlurche.de/Poecilotheria-ventral.jpg

OBTs you can often pick up for £10+ but I certainly wouldn't pay £40 for one. As they're easy to breed it helps to keep the costs down and you'll often find them available from forums.
                      T. blondi aren't so easy to find and often fetch a hefty price, i've seen these as max 5" for £150!!! Hard to breed so that keeps the price high but if you're lucky you may find a spiderling for £20+. The slings are quite big even in their first moult.
                      Pokies, lots to choose from and the price ranges but its not hard to find slings for £5+, 4" for around £20. The sought after metallica will fetch upwards of £35 just for a sling rising to £300 for a gravid female.
                      Doubtless others will provide their opinions on prices but this gives you an idea of bargains or rip-offs. Its worth noting however that shop prices will be higher as they have overheads and they need to make a profit, but there's no postage. Online shops offer good selections and often guarantee live arrivals and replacements.
                      My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Many thanks for the link - I'll have a look when she's next feeling co-operative!

Comment

Hi Faye,

I was checking the pic of your pokie out, and my friend has a P.Formosa that is very like yours. Have a look at this pic of google.

Michael.
                          Attached Files
                          2xB.vagans, B.smithi, 2x L.parahybana, L.polycuspulatus, G.aureostriata, C.fasciatum, B.albopilosum, B.boehmei, P.pulcher, H.maculata, C.crawshayi, L.violaceopes, C.cyanopubescens, 3xP.irminia, 2xP.murinus RCF, 2xP.cambridgei, C.fimbriatus, C.schioedtei, A.pupurea, A.azuraklassi, A.versicolor, H.lividum, P.reduncus.

Comment

Originally posted by michaelmckinney View Post
                            Hi Faye,

I was checking the pic of your pokie out, and my friend has a P.Formosa that is very like yours. Have a look at this pic of google.

Michael.
                            Thanks for that Michael - it's certainly the closest I've seen so far...
                            she's quite a bit lighter than that, and doesn't have so much banding on her front legs - just the stripes going down them, strange how much individuals vary!

Comment

stunning pics. Do you mind me asking what camera you use. Been thinking of getting a new one just not sure what to get
                              Avicularia Versicolor 0.0.2 , Brachypelma Vagans 0.0.1 , Brachypelma Albopilosum 0.0.1 , Grammostola Porteri 0.0.2 , Brachypelma Smithi 0.0.1 , Brachypelma Klaasi 0.0.1 , Lampropelma Violaceopes 1.0.0 , Pterinochilus Murinus 0.0.1 , Avicularia Avicularia 0.0.1 , Heteroscodra Maculata 0.0.1 , Poecilotheria Striata 0.0.1 , Acanthoscurria Geniculata 0.0.1

Comment

Working...
                              X