Amazonía - North Perú

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazonía - North Perú

Well, I came back from my trip. I was in the North Perú Amazon and decided to stay in that area only and not going to Brazil or Colombia, so I could get to know and explore it well since there's so much to see and there's never enough time. I spent 20 days in my trip, of which 12 days I lived in the forest, on a protected area of primary rainforest.
    For now I will post pictures only. I have many many pictures and I will be posting more and more in time. I'm also doing a writing of my adventures, but it will take some time to finish that and maybe will publish it in some magazine.
    I can say I had a great and amazing time, seen a lot of wildlife, enjoyed the peace and wonders of the forest, made friends, and most important...seen tarantulas in the wild (5 different species) and other two mygalomorphae spiders, also Nephila sp. and Argiope sp., etc.

Tapinauchenius sp., Avicularia sp., Pamphobeteus sp., Cyriocosmus sp. and another theraphosid maybe Thrixopelma?

I hope you like them, best regards.

Pato-

Fantastic pictures Pato. Sounds like you had a great trip
    Last edited by Phil Rea; 11-03-09, 06:05 PM.

My Collection:

Comment

Thank you Phil, I can't wait for the next trip!

Pato-

Comment

No comment... only envy...
        Last edited by Damian Marciniak; 11-03-09, 07:14 PM.
        Thanks Damian

Comment

One word...WOW!!!
          www.flickr.com/photos/craigmackay/sets

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Thank you!!

Comment

Fantastic pix
              Can I come on holiday with you?

Its great to share these so we get an insight into natural habitat. Did you do any readings on humidity and temperatures? inside and outside their burrows? can you give us an insight into how moist it was as my experience of rainforest has been rather moist muddy substrates and a continual damp environment of various levels, something we seem to steer away from with our own enclosures.
              My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Thank you Peter. The humidity was VERY high...as it was starting the big rainy season. But I think the forest has always high humidity, even when it rains less...
                The bottom of the Pamphobeteus' burrow was flooded, so you can imagine how high was the humidity. And the forest had many flooded areas already, and it was supposed to rain even more and flood more than this. I guess that's why the Pamphobeteus are not very common in this area, I think it's hard for them to make a stable population, as the environmet is harsh because of flooding. When the flood gets in the entire burrow, the spider is forced to leave it and most likely be eaten by a predator.
                The Avicularias seem to thrive in this environment, as they don't have trouble with flooding... I've found many of them, even in man made structures. They seem to adapt very well and the Tapinauchenius too. But Avics (still not sure what sp. is it) were the dominant Theraphosid in this area, and they were the only tarantula that most people seem to know there.
                Concerning temperature, in this time of the year it gets as low as 21º C at night and I even had to sleep with a sheet covering because I got chilled because of the high humidity. During the day, it gets at 32-33ºC. The humidity makes you feel like it's 45ºC!! haha. This time of the year they call it winter, and in july when starts the dry season, they call it summer. In summer they said that the temperature gets higher, but not much. Also they say it's best to visit during this time of the year as it doesn't rain that much and usually wildlife is more visible... And it's the fishing season too.

And well, this trip I had to make it alone...because I really couldn't wait any longer!! But it would be cool to make it with people who likes tarantulas and wildlife!

Best regards,
                Pato-

Comment

Hi Pato,

unfortunately the photos do not load for me: "Bandwith Exceeded". =

Maybe you can upload them somewhere else!?

Cheers,
                  Martin
                  »ARACHNE« – The Journal of the German Arachnology Society

Comment

Hey Martin,

I had a problem with Photobucket, because I uploaded so many pictures they say I exceeded the monthly limit, but I had no idea of this and suddenly they banned all my pics! They want me to pay to upgrade my account...yeah right! So I think I'll make another account anytime soon and upload the photos again.

Best wishes,
                    Pato.

Comment

Here I am posting the pics again, I had to create a new account to link them.

Pamhobeteus sp. ''chicken spider'' or maybe antinous burrow. Adult female living with a juvenile.

This one's the juv.

Heres mommy

Me in my habitat---and the Pampho's

Ctenid with a Pepsi wasp

Marañón River (Amazonas) Habitat of Avicularia, Cyriocosmus, Pamphobeteus, Tapinauchenius, etc.

Avicularia sp. sling

Unknown Theraphosinae sp. juvenile

Unknown Mygalomorphae sp.

Blaberus gigantea

Nephila sp.

gate to paradise

Avicularia sp.

Argiope sp.

Same Avicularia sp. (the only Avic sp. I've found)

Mantid

Avic about 6 meters high in a palm tree

Same spider in a panoramic view

The dawn of my Life

Unknown Mygalomorphae sp.

Tapinauchenius unknown sp.

Several Offsprings living around the mother

Cyriocosmus bertae living as an arboreal (ground was flooded)

This is her tree (Capinurí old tree)

C. bertae

I have many more pics about a lot of wildlife not related to spiders maybe if
                      it's ok I'll post it?

Kind regards,
                      Pato-

(sorry for the handling pics, but it's for showing their size )

Comment

Originally posted by Patricio Cavallo View Post
                        I have many more pics about a lot of wildlife not related to spiders maybe if
                        it's ok I'll post it?

Kind regards,
                        Pato-

(sorry for the handling pics, but it's for showing their size )
                        Feel free to post them Pato. I'm sure they will be appreciated, as all in the wild pictures are, and will give an interesting insight into the habitat

My Collection:

Comment

Holà Pato,

thanks for reposting the photos. Really great ones - I envy you for that trip!!!

all the best,
                          Martin

Comment

Thank you Martin, maybe we can arrange for a future Arachne article

Pato-

Comment

Holà Pato,

Originally posted by Patricio Cavallo View Post

Thank you Martin, maybe we can arrange for a future Arachne article
                              you can read my mind!!! Would love to get an another article from you!

Cheers,
                              Martin

Comment

Working...
                              X