• Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have a lovely collection. Love the apophysis waving at the camera

Comment

Cheers jennifer

Aarons Collection:

Comment

fantastic pics Aaron m8, i have 1 at the moment a Chilean rose (Grammostola rosea) he's wonderfull and temperment wise fantasic as ive handle him plenty of times and love's being handled, i do have a fear of spider's but some how tarantula's dont frighten me as much. even my 3 kids have handled him supervised and carefully giving as much respect to him as ive advised to them he deverse's. so im going to buy more my next is going to be what i see as the most beautiful and as equally handable Mexican Red-kneed (Brachypelma smithi). but im stuck on the next after that he/she would have to be docile easly handable and beautiful and striking so any advise would be brill. now comes the last question i have just a small 10ltr vivarium tank to which alot of peeps say is plenty, but is it ok to put my spider's in 2ft fish tanks as i would like to try and replicate his/her natural habitat, and also i dont like to use vermiculite as it doesnt look natural other than coir fibre what is another subrate to use. lol my chile rose isnt impressed with his vermiculite going and being replaced with coir fibre, but it looks more natural. sorry for so many question's is it ok to spray the coir to keep it moist but not wet. thanx for any advise given and sorry for such a long post lol.

Comment

Originally posted by marc boyer View Post
          fantastic pics Aaron m8, i have 1 at the moment a Chilean rose (Grammostola rosea) he's wonderfull and temperment wise fantasic as ive handle him plenty of times and love's being handled, i do have a fear of spider's but some how tarantula's dont frighten me as much. even my 3 kids have handled him supervised and carefully giving as much respect to him as ive advised to them he deverse's. so im going to buy more my next is going to be what i see as the most beautiful and as equally handable Mexican Red-kneed (Brachypelma smithi). but im stuck on the next after that he/she would have to be docile easly handable and beautiful and striking so any advise would be brill. now comes the last question i have just a small 10ltr vivarium tank to which alot of peeps say is plenty, but is it ok to put my spider's in 2ft fish tanks as i would like to try and replicate his/her natural habitat, and also i dont like to use vermiculite as it doesnt look natural other than coir fibre what is another subrate to use. lol my chile rose isnt impressed with his vermiculite going and being replaced with coir fibre, but it looks more natural. sorry for so many question's is it ok to spray the coir to keep it moist but not wet. thanx for any advise given and sorry for such a long post lol.
          Hi marc and cheers
          To answer your Q's first off my G rosea is also very docile and is easily handled but i rarely handle her or any of my T's as they are more to look at and enjoy than be handled.
          If you want more docile T's i would say most of my Grammostola's are very docile as are some brachypelma's but i will also say that i think even the docile T's you can get the odd 1 that will still attempt an attack.
          My daughters have all handled my G rosea and each have a spider which is there's within my collection my youngest daughter is 3 and loves her spider(The B Smithi in the pics).
          As for using fish tanks the answer is yes,Most of my T's are in fish tanks of different sizes with glass partitions in the larger fish tanks largest being a 4ft tank with 5 seperate and different sized enclosures depending on the spider to be housed(I will add pics of tanks soon if you are interested but my cam has broken)
          As for substrate i buy a general top soil with no additives and microwave it before using and i dont use vermiculite any more its the last of it in a few of the pics and they all seem happy with just soil.
          I've never used coir fibre so cant really say wot to do with it but would think misting it would be fine i mist my tanks but how often depends on which T it is, my G rosea hates her tank sprayed to often but all my tanks have water dishes which are checked daily .
          Well i hope that answers your Q's and sorry for it being so long can get a bit carried away when i start waffling about my T's
          Last edited by Aaron Annal; 19-09-09, 01:25 AM.

Aarons Collection:

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron Annal View Post
            Hi marc and cheers
            To answer your Q's first off my G rosea is also very docile and is easily handled but i rarely handle her or any of my T's as they are more to look at and enjoy than be handled.
            If you want more docile T's i would say most of my Grammostola's are very docile as are some brachypelma's but i will also say that i think even the docile T's you can get the odd 1 that will still attempt an attack.
            My daughters have all handled my G rosea and each have a spider which is there's within my collection my youngest daughter is 3 and loves her spider(The B Smithi in the pics).
            As for using fish tanks the answer is yes,Most of my T's are in fish tanks of different sizes with glass partitions in the larger fish tanks largest being a 4ft tank with 5 seperate and different sized enclosures depending on the spider to be housed(I will add pics of tanks soon if you are interested but my cam has broken)
            As for substrate i buy a general top soil with no additives and microwave it before using and i dont use vermiculite any more its the last of it in a few of the pics and they all seem happy with just soil.
            I've never used coir fibre so cant really say wot to do with it but would think misting it would be fine i mist my tanks but how often depends on which T it is, my G rosea hates her tank sprayed to often but all my tanks have water dishes which are checked daily .
            Well i hope that answers your Q's and sorry for it being so long can get a bit carried away when i start waffling about my T's

no thanx m8 you've answered my questions very well, yeah im getting a mexican red knee so im thinking of 2 2ft tanks i know they can have smaller i just want to add some very nice decorations etc, and yeah it took me 3 months to actually get him out of his tank but he love's walking around on me and im thinking of him likeing it as he's active on me and when i put him back in his tank he's climbing the side's to get back out lol. 1 more question the last T on your piccy's the one with red markings what is the temperment like. and yes that would be brill to see your set up's for idea's i can see.

Comment

Hi m8
              The Theraphosa Apophysis i have is a bit grumpy tbh he attempts to attack anything that goes in his tank including the the water i pour into his dish so not 1 to be handled imo lol
              As soon as i get a new cam sorted i will add pics of the tanks i use

Aarons Collection:

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron Annal View Post
                Hi m8
                The Theraphosa Apophysis i have is a bit grumpy tbh he attempts to attack anything that goes in his tank including the the water i pour into his dish so not 1 to be handled imo lol
                As soon as i get a new cam sorted i will add pics of the tanks i use
                brill m8 im looking forward to seeing them, damn i knew you was going to say that never mind lol, the only thing thats going to put me off these T's in the future is cleaning the tank out, how to get them out temporary while cleaning the tank etc, sorry for all the question's but it's a hobby i want to take off and get as much info and peeps opinion's to other T's etc.

Comment

Hi marc and no worries with the Q's wish i'd had a site like this wen i got my first T i would have been askin alsorts lol
                  Wen cleaning out tanks of my the more agressive T's i use a square 2 litre squash bottle with the bottom cut off, carefully place over the T and they normally climb in, put in a safe place(stood out the way so spider cant escape and bottle cant be knocked over) while you clean the tank and if their stubborn coming back out a little spray of water through the top and they slide bck out into their fresh new home .I hope that makes sense

Aarons Collection:

Comment

no m8 thats fantastic never thought of that but thanx for your reply, yeah i read up for at least a month before purchasing me chile to get to know them and signed up here. but it's brill to get good sound advice from expert's

Comment

Hi All
                      Well I have been a bit busy of late so havent been able to get on here as much as i'd like i have now rejoined the BTS as had let it lapse for a couple of yrs.
                      I also have had 1 death in my Tarantula family my daughters Brachypelma Smithi sling sadly died hadnt eaten for a while tried alsorts but jus never perked up

Pic of deceased

I also have had 1 molt my Brachypelma Baumgarteni has molted and looks alot brighter this molt pics off a borrowed cam phone and although mp same as old cam jus wont take as clear a pic as old cam and cant afford new 1 yet
                      Before

After

I also have 10 Thrixopelma Ockerti slings here but havent taken pics yets

Aarons Collection:

Comment

Well i'm deffinately having a bad few weeks here my Theraphosa Apophysis mature male has now died just at the same time i had found someone who was up for a 50/50 loan he was fed 2 crickets no more than a week ago which he ate 1 and the other was removed to feed 1 of my other T's,got e-mail about 50/50 loan so thought no time like the present i'll pack him up and send him off so went in and removed his hide to find him dead inside

Aarons Collection:

Comment

New Cam

Hi All
                          well its been a while but i have got a new cam just got to learn how to use it to get some new close up pics so if any of you know wot settings to use please feel free to let me know lol
                          Its a Pentax optio E85 12.1mp so must be better than my last 8mp cam just finding that struggles with low light so may need a light to use to get better pics
                          Well as promised here is the pics of my tanks will add more pics of my T's wen have learnt how to take a gd macro shot
                          This is my largest tank and is in 5 sections holding my A.Geniculta,Grammostola ssp,G.pulchripes,P.Lugardi and H.Lividium in the 2 tall sections at the end.

Next is a 3ft tank in 3 sections with my G.Argentinsis,G.Rosea and B.Vagans

Next is 1 of 2 smaller tanks holding 1 of my L.Parahybana and B.Auratum
                          and finally

My smallest tank holding my Grammostola Ssp(Red Phase) and A.Sternalis

The rest of my T's are in tubs

and my smaller T's and 10 T.Ockerti slings and there new homes ready to transfer and my replacement T.Apophysis sling

Well thats enough for now will hopefully learn to use my cam soon and will add new pics of my T's some freshly molted and looking stunning
                          Last edited by Aaron Annal; 04-01-10, 05:52 PM. Reason: spelling ;)

Aarons Collection:

Comment

Some really nice looking set ups you have there. I've always wanted to use divided tanks. Do you find them easy to manage with cleaning and the like?
                            Visit my spiders at http://www.silkspinners.co.uk

Comment

Well been playing with me cam and think i've sussed it to a point lol so thought i'd add a few pics for ya to see
                              All comments welcome

First of all is my Lasiodora Klugi who last molted on 8/12/09

Next is my Grammostola Ssp

Next my Grammostola pulchripes

More soon
                              Last edited by Aaron Annal; 08-01-10, 06:45 PM.

Aarons Collection:

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle Howarth View Post
                                Some really nice looking set ups you have there. I've always wanted to use divided tanks. Do you find them easy to manage with cleaning and the like?
                                Hi cheers for your comment

Most of the time cleaning of the tanks is hassle free but sometimes a couple of my T's do decide to investigate wots outside of there home so i have a piece of cardboard i can place over the top to stop them escaping tbh most decide to hide so its all good

Aarons Collection:

Comment

Working...
                                X