Honduras 2011. - mostly cloud forest in Cusuco National Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honduras 2011. - mostly cloud forest in Cusuco National Park

A small selection of the tarantula species i found this year in northern and eastern honduras

http://www.flickr.com/photos/theraph...7627448542401/

I was for the most part in Cusuco National park working as an invited scientist with the NGO 'operation wallacea' that gives volunteers (mostly university and school groups) experience of doing scientific projects in the neotropics. Most of the pictures of two different Citharacanthus species are from collections made within Cusuco National park, which is high montaine cloud forest, and a nationally protected area. Many of the areas i visited were remote, involving lots of mud, long walks, sleeping in a hammock, bathroom facilities being a trench and a spade, and a diet of mostly rice and beans. Jungle life isnt for everyone - but to me its amazing there. A few other pics are from trips i made around the east and north of Honduras when not in Cusuco.

more on operation wallacea's work in honduras is found at the link below (saving you a google search..):
    http://www.opwall.com/Expeditions/Ho...as/index.shtml
    British Tarantula Society
    My Lovely spiders:

hey Stuart,

Some fantastic photos in there! Particularly liking the Citharacanthus sp. black. So how many species did you find, 8? Or are there more still to come?

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Hi michael.

yes, i think i got 8 total.

Its a step forward from the 3 species listed in Schmidt 2003 for the country.

The one im calling Citharacanthus sp 'black' is still uncertain identification, so be careful of that, i think now it might not be Citharacanthus sp.

I only travelled the north and east of the country, and likely missed some species in those areas. The other areas likely have
      lots more surprises to reveal.
      British Tarantula Society
      My Lovely spiders:

Comment

Excellent photo's Stuart, it must be amazing to get the chance to observe and photograph tarantulas in their own natural habitat.

Comment

Working...
        X