Gonzalez-Filho et al: Taxonomy of Acanthoscurria from Southeastern Brazil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gonzalez-Filho et al: Taxonomy of Acanthoscurria from Southeastern Brazil

Gonzalez-Filho, H. M. O., S. M. Lucas, F. dos S. Paula, R. P. Indicatti & A. D. Brescovit. 2012. On the Taxonomy of Acanthoscurria Ausserer from Southeastern Brazil with Data on the Natural History of A. gomesiana Mello-Leitão (Araneae, Mygalomorphae, Theraphosidae). International Journal of Zoology, Volume 2012 , Article ID 721793, 11 pages doi:10.1155/2012/721793

Abstract. The study of type material and specimens of A. gomesiana of several Brazilian spider collections offered us the possibility to redescribe this species and consider synonyms of the first one of the following: A. violacea, A. pugnax, and A. aurita. Acanthoscurria cunhae and A. melanotheria are considered Species inquirendae, the types were not located, and the descriptions are not enough for identification of similar ones. We considered as valid only two species from the southeast of Brazil: A. paulensis and A. gomesiana. The distribution range of A. gomesiana is enhanced in the state of Minas Gerais, Brazil. Some data on natural history and phenology are presented.

Open access article. Click the DOI link for the full text.
    Spider Myths | Curious Taxonomy | The World Spider Catalog - Theraphosidae

"We are all taxonomists." -Judith Winston
    "The laws of biology are written in the language of diversity." -Edward Osborne Wilson
    "Principle of Priority - the oldest fool is always right!" -H. Segers & Y. Samyn

Nice article, and my congratulations to the authors.

I put a couple of extra images of the species into the BTS gallery. The adult female i photographed was live in the collection of the Butantan Institute (Sao Paulo Brasil) where the above researchers study, and shown to me by them. So its identity and provenance is very secure.

British Tarantula Society
    My Lovely spiders:

Comment

Working...
    X