Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pelinobius muticus - Successful

Breeding report Pelinobius muticus: Successful
    Possibly the first successful breeding in South Africa.
    Date mated: Around April/May 2013 I would guess. No inserts were seen and she ate 2 males in the process. Males would tap and vibrate their third leg which got the female drumming back. The female would come out of the burrow and lift up ready to mate and as soon as the males tried to insert she would eat them.  Obviously one of the males managed to get a quick insert in though.
    Date dropped: 18 July 2013. No idea on humidity, but temperature around 21 degrees celcius. Female was given no cooling/warming period and dropped with no additional flooding.

Date pulled: 19 July 2013. The female tore the sac down and was walking all over it, so decided to pull it. At this stage I still thought there was no insert, so the sac would be a dud, but incubated it anyway. Here is the makeshift incubator:

I would lift the sac twice a day and try and move the eggs around inside it. The sac was not opened till day 21.
    EWL: 12 August 2013. Was just about giving up hope when a few finally emerged.

1st instar: 28 August 2013

2nd instar: 26 September 2013. Finally moulted to 2nd instar.

There were around 150 eggs to start off with, but only around 50 developed to EWL. The rest looked different to those that developed and pretty sure they were unfertilized. I suspect this may be because of the very quick insert as other muticus matings that I have heard of seem to take a minute or 2, whereas this must have been quicker than a pokie. Looks like around 40 will make it to 2nd instar. Not a huge haul, but very pleased anyway.

Congratulations and well done

Comment

Well done. IMO the female only attacks after an insertion so the male must be fast!
      Guy...
      www.giantspiders.com

Comment

Thanks. Well only 35 made it to second instar, but all have eaten and are looking healthy.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 4

Comment

huge congratulations, mate! that is quite an achievement!
          Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
          -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
          My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Working...
          X