tarantula speeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tarantula speeds

I was watching my S. crassipes Australian tarantula the other night stalking a cricket some 5 cm away from it. It sat motionless for a long time and then seemed to teleport to just outside its burrow with the cricket. The conduction of nerve impulses in the brain is 50 - 60 m / s, so if you can't see a spider move then I presume that its speed must be in this kind of ball-park!

This means that when striking, a tarantula can move at 216 km per hour! This would be roughly equivalent to a human sprinting at 1580 km / hour!

I suppose proper measurements of tarantula speeds must have been made, but if they are in this ball park,it is truly incredible. No wonder spiders have survived for so many millions of years!

maybe you blinked slowly
    The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Comment

yes - the stuff about nerve conduction may be rubbish.
      I'd be fascinated to know the actual speeds which this species, and other teleporting spiders can reach though.

Comment

tarantula speeds.

I don't know anything about nerves, but I've seen my P. metallica move a couple of times so fast that I barely saw it go. I thought the thing had jumped at first, and I didn't blink. (plus tarantulas can't jump round corners!)
        sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

Yeah. I can't find anything on the web about the speeds of tarantulas when striking prey, or escaping predators/owners, although there are a few things about speeds in other circumstances. Perhaps I'm not looking in the right place.

I guess measuring it would just need a video with time lapse. I bet it's damn fast.

Comment

could not find anything on speed but came across this paper if anyone interested.

Comment

That's interesting.
              Perhaps someone with a large collection of typically fast spiders and the right equipment should do a survey of the speeds of different species and write a paper!
              For example, I know that P. ornata are frequently described as 'teleporting'. I'd certainly be interested to know how fast they are actually going in differing circumstances, e.g striking prey, escaping predators/owners etc.

Comment

I know my psalmo can move like a bullet-it shot up my arm like a rocket when I first got it,but they soon run out of steam ,usually when they reach your shoulder. Theyre like cheetahs, can sprint very fast but not for long.
                My Collection: - Spiders are everywhere, so live with it
                Ray Gabriel

Comment

I'm sure its probably nothing compared to other species but I'm amazed by how fast my G.rosea moves. Today it made a great (and almost fatal) escape using it. I was clearing some cricket remains out and didn't notice the spider coming towards the tweezers. I must have brushed a leg and then I seen it, I tried to pull the tweezers away but it already did what I thought it might...ran up the tweezers and then jumped off my hand down the back of my unit. Its about a three foot drop, so lucky for the poor guy my room is a mess, and a bunch of tangled wires and cables cusioned the blow. Its still pretty jumpy and it happened early this morning, poor thing must be terrified. Taught me to keep a closer eye on it though, they can be very fast indeed.

Comment

tarantula speed

I think we underestimate the speed of a lot of our tarantulas. Because they're normally slow and deliberate in their movements that sticks in out brains, then they react to food and we are shocked. I'm just as guilty as the speed my Avic can cross her 18 inch tank, grab food and then go back to her web, its like she is flying. I think all Poecilotherias are very very fast. As I've said I've seen my P. metallica 'teleporting' and others have said the same about P. ornata, also my P. subfusca can move just as fast. Then again, if you think about how fast their food can move they need to, don't they?
                    sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

Working...
                    X