Urticating setae reference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urticating setae reference

All right, gang, I need your help. I've been trying to track down the references for the various types of urticating bristles/setae. Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urticating_hair) lists one reference as M. Overton, 2002, but doesn't deign to offer a full reference at the bottom of the article. And, (this is weird to say the least) virtually every other reference that crops up with a Google search for 'Overton urticating' merely, stupidly parrots the Wikipedia article. It seems that nobody else has the motivation or testicular fortitude to write their own article or correct any deficiencies in the one that they're cribbing!

Are the M. Overton referred to in the reference and Martin Overton of Arachnophiliac or the Tarantula's Burrow the same "Overton?" If not, who is the one in the reference?

What, please, is the full reference for M. Overton, 2002?

Thanks, in advance.
    The Tarantula Whisperer!
    Stan Schultz
    Co-author, the TARANTULA KEEPER'S GUIDE
    Private messaging is turned OFF!
    Please E-mail me directly at schultz@ucalgary.ca

Stan, have a look on his site here.

This refers to a 'From the pages of 'The British Tarantula Society Journal' article on Martin's website. Maybe that's what they are trying to cite.

My Collection:

Comment

seeing as i've signed up to Wikipedia, i'll have a look when i have time and try to update/correct the article.
      unless someone beats me to it:P
      Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
      -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
      My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Hi Stan

Urticating hair - Types of Urticating Hair

There are six different types of urticating hair known (M. Overton, 2002). They are all different in shape and size.
        • Type I .2 - .6mm
        • Type II .5 - 1.5mm
        • Type III .3 - 1.2mm
        • Type IV .06 - .2mm
        • Type V
        • Type VI
        Each type of urticating hair is believed to target different enemies. Defined targets for some hair types are unknown.
        Type II is not kicked off by the tarantula. Direct contact is necessary to penetrate an attacker. Tarantulas from genera Avicularia, Pachistopelma and Iridopelma possess Type II hairs.( Toni Hoover, 1997)
        Type III urticating hair are most efficient for defence against vertebrates and invertebrates.
        Types III and IV are the most irritant to mammalian predators.

QQSLOT INFO situs event tebak skor qqslot berhadiah dan juga info jadwal pertandingan bola setiap hari update untuk member QQ slot

Martin Overton The tarantulas burrow seems the most likely candidate for the ref (M Overton 2002) but like yourself cant prove it

QQSLOT INFO situs event tebak skor qqslot berhadiah dan juga info jadwal pertandingan bola setiap hari update untuk member QQ slot

The Tarantulas burrow also quote an article from the BTS Journal re urticating hairs that credits the work to Museum of Nat Hist New York 1972
        • Type I .2 - .6mm
        • Type II .5 - 1.5mm
        • Type III .3 - 1.2mm
        • Type IV .06 - .2mm
        Looks the same as overtons ???

So perhaps M Overton 2002 was not the original author in the first place thats why no ref can be found under his name directly

"The urticating hairs of theraphosid spiders : Mus. Am. Nat. Hist., New York, 21/6/72.

I could be completely wrong but its just a guess

(apologies to M Overton if im wrong)

All the best

Clint
        Clinton

Maxine 9 - 9.5 inch Lasiodora Parahybana
        -------------------------------------------------------
        Pet charity site http://www.sponsoracat.org.uk/

Comment

This one might help a bit:
          All the best,
          Mikhail from Russia

Welcome to: http://tarantulas.tropica.ru

Comment

Originally posted by Clinton Hogben View Post
            ... The Tarantulas burrow also quote an article from the BTS Journal re urticating hairs that credits the work to Museum of Nat Hist New York 1972
            • Type I .2 - .6mm
            • Type II .5 - 1.5mm
            • Type III .3 - 1.2mm
            • Type IV .06 - .2mm
            Looks the same as overtons ???

So perhaps M Overton 2002 was not the original author in the first place thats why no ref can be found under his name directly

"The urticating hairs of theraphosid spiders : Mus. Am. Nat. Hist., New York, 21/6/72. ...
            Actually, the naming of the first 4 urticating setae was done by J. A. L. Cook in his paper in 1972. (Cooke, J.A.L., Roth V.D. and Miller F.R.: "The urticating hairs of theraphosid spiders : Mus. Am. Nat. Hist., New York, 21/6/72.), and that's the full reference for the incomplete one you quoted. I must have 2 or 3 copies of his paper on file back in Calgary.

Since that time, someone described 2 more and I think that may be where "M. Overton, 2002" comes in. But, since no one seems to know when or where those other 2 were described, I can't tell. Was a real description published someplace that is technically believable? Or, did "Overton" merely make an off-handed reference to finding 2 more in some hobbyist magazine article or on the Internet and now everybody believes it to be the Queen's truth?

Or, worse yet, did Overton merely make reference to some other mention that he thought he'd seen someplace else? In that case we would have rumor piled on top of hearsay. I am not inclined to publish that sort of thing simply for the sake of "keeping up with the Jones" if I can help it.

That's why I'm in such a tizzy about it.

This is sort of a love/hate thing with me. I love ferreting out little facts like this in an effort to keep the records straight, but I hate having to spend the time doing so. Sigh.

Anyway, if "M. Overton," whoever he or she is, reads this, or if any of you know of him/her, I would appreciate a response that solves this little enigma.

And thanks to all for their interest and assistance.
            The Tarantula Whisperer!
            Stan Schultz

Comment

Hi Stan
              Hope you eventually find the original source
              I'm halfway through a degree course and I can understand why my tutors keep banging on about putting the correct source reference on everything in site you just never know when it may be needed

All the best

Clint
              Clinton

Maxine 9 - 9.5 inch Lasiodora Parahybana
              -------------------------------------------------------
              Pet charity site http://www.sponsoracat.org.uk/

Comment

Hey Stan, this should be what you're looking for!

Types I-IV:
                Cooke, J .A .L ., VD. Roth & EH. Miller. 1972. The urticating hairs of theraphosid spiders. American Mus. Nov., 2498 :1-43.

Type V:
                Marshall, S .D. & G.W. Uetz. 1990. The pedipalpal brush of Ephebopus sp. (Araneae, Theraphosidae): Evidence of a new site for urticating hairs.
                Bull. British Arachnol. Soc., 8(4) :122-124.

Type VI.
                PEREZ-MILES, 1998. NOTES ON THE SYSTEMATICS OF THE LITTLE KNOWN THERAPHOSID SPIDER HEMIRRHAGUS CERVINUS, WITH A DESCRIPTION OF A NEW TYPE OF URTICATING HAIR. The Journal of Arachnology 26 :120-123

Haven't we done this before?

Have a good day Stan!
                KJ Vezino
                Certified Arachnoholic
                My T Gallery
                Quest for Knowledge: All the T info links you need!
                "Have You Hugged Your Spiders Today?"

KJ’s Collection

Comment

Many time Kevin in different forums... but only for those who cares of which are most known
                  All the best,
                  Mikhail from Russia

Welcome to: http://tarantulas.tropica.ru

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin J. Vezino View Post
                    Hey Stan, this should be what you're looking for!

Types I-IV:
                    Cooke, J .A .L ., VD. Roth & EH. Miller. 1972. The urticating hairs of theraphosid spiders. American Mus. Nov., 2498 :1-43.

Type V:
                    Marshall, S .D. & G.W. Uetz. 1990. The pedipalpal brush of Ephebopus sp. (Araneae, Theraphosidae): Evidence of a new site for urticating hairs.
                    Bull. British Arachnol. Soc., 8(4) :122-124.

Type VI.
                    PEREZ-MILES, 1998. NOTES ON THE SYSTEMATICS OF THE LITTLE KNOWN THERAPHOSID SPIDER HEMIRRHAGUS CERVINUS, WITH A DESCRIPTION OF A NEW TYPE OF URTICATING HAIR. The Journal of Arachnology 26 :120-123

Haven't we done this before?

Have a good day Stan!
                    But that was almost 90 days ago! You expect me to remember something for 90 days?

Alzheimer's is such a fun disease. You get to meet so many new people over and over and over and over and ...

The Tarantula Whisperer!
                    Stan Schultz

Comment

No worries Stan, Always happy to help!
                      KJ Vezino
                      Certified Arachnoholic
                      My T Gallery
                      Quest for Knowledge: All the T info links you need!
                      "Have You Hugged Your Spiders Today?"

KJ’s Collection

Comment

Working...
                      X