A. seemani - brown, black and blue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A. seemani - brown, black and blue

I spoke to a number of ppl recently about A. seemani and the differences in colour from brown to black. From what I've read on forums and peoples opinions this is caused by the humidity, the more humid the darker it appears. As this also seems true of the likes of T. blondi and T. apothysis I wondered if anyone more experienced had any opinions.
    I also talked of the blue strain which is worth checking out in this thread:
    My Collection - Summer 2011

Hi

Can't say much as I don't keep them but here are some nice pics of them in the wild.

cheers
    Chris

Comment

We've had a A. Seemani female for over 2 years now, and regardless of high or low humidity she's never varied in colour and always displaying rusty spinnerets, I think the same can be said for the Apophysis colouring as well, and think it may be more to do with diet, or the region they come from.

Comment

A few years ago I was privelaged to meet a guy called Lionel Rowe. some of you may remember him as the curator of Chesshington Zoo. He had an amazing collection of spiders in his office including a few A.seemanni. He had two spiders side by side on the shelf and showed me an expreiment he had been carrying out. Both were from the same egg sac, both were adult. One was a very dull brown whilst the other was jet black with the whitest stripes I had ever seen. He then explained his experiment. the black one had been kept in near total darkness , covered up for most of the time whilst the other had been kept next to it in normal conditions.

Some tarantulas when they moult are very dark and there is a tendancy to "fade" in light. I tried it my self with Thai Blacks and I have some of the blackest H. minax you will ever see....or not as the case may be.

Ray
        British Tarantula Society - Join today safe and secure online

[B]
        The 29th BTS Annual Exhibition
        On
        [B]Sunday 18th May 2014[B]

Comment

before we start on colorforms, let's first agree on what Aphonopelma seemanni is.

is it this species, that is exported from Guatemala as Aphonopelma seemani?

premolt

post molt

or is it this (Honduras)?

habitat

burrow

pre-molt

some 70 cm from the first burrow is the next burow, this time a freshly molted female.

or are they both A. seemanni? (even tough the stripe pattern on the leggs differ) as they both have tan spinnerets?

Comment

thanks for that insight Ray, very interesting.

Great pix Eddy and hopefully someone will have an answer. I spoke to Colin Wilson about these and he also mentioned the differences between Honduras and Guatemala, did you find there's also a size difference?
            Looks rather wet there, would that be typical of the climate or was it just a wet day?
            My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

the first species is found in both Honduras and Guatemala.... and not too far away from the classic A. seemanni as seen in the lower pics.

as for the climate, this was typical...... in the wet season.

Comment

Working...
              X