My First Breeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Breeding

Well tonight was the night i introduced my male and female Haplopelma sp Vietnam . I was really nervous as it was my first ever attempt at breeding , all i can say is wow what a rush!!!

Here are some pictures and a description of what happened.

At 8:30 pm we managed too successfully retreave the male from his tank with no drama and placed him in the females tank where he just sat doing nothing for 45 minutes,

At 9:25 pm the female started too emerge from her burrow (in the corner) slowly at first (thats when i started having second thoughts as he was inactive) . She climbed up the side too the top of her tank along the glass and down towards him ( This is when i thought thats it im going too need another male) . They touched feet and KERPOW!!!!!!! He was wrestling with her and at one point ended up with her on top of him , i thought that was it . He then wrestled her into position and she went all calm and submissive whilst he was stroking her legs.

He was gradually pushing her up whilst edging further underneath her.

They carried on like this until 9:35 pm (about 20 minutes) until he managed too free himself and get away , we had too scare the female into her burrow so we could get him out and put him in his tank . He looked absolutely knackered .

I am well happy with the results so far. I nearly offered him a cigarette cos he looks like he needed one. As you can see on his pedipalp one of his emboli is out , dont know if thats a good sign or not.
    I guess its just a matter of time too see if he was successful but im happy and too be honest i enjoyed it.
    And im proud of my male especially with his 6 1/2 legs.
    Last edited by Matthew Baines; 07-10-08, 10:35 PM.
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Offer him a cigarette lmao!!! Well looked like he had his work cut out for him wrestling that big girl LOL. Nice one mate hope it was a fruitfull mating as I would gladly purchase a few slings if they were up for sale LOL. Also its good grabbing the bull by the horns and mating a crazy species for your first, defo sorts the men from the boys. My first tarantula sac was a huge A. geniculata, that went through 3 males to get a successfull pairing!!!! She was fed to bursting and refusing food and just completely destroyed the first 2 males without even a chance. Then the 3rd must have been casanova, cos she seemed so interested in breeding, but as they were parting company, she leapt on him!!!! But he managed to keep his legend alive, as he got a few successfull insertions and fathered some slings. Hope my next one goes as smoothly as yours cos I'm going down the Haplopelma route aswell with my dark colour form male lividum and female burmese lividum so wish me luck LOL.
    2xB.vagans, B.smithi, 2x L.parahybana, L.polycuspulatus, G.aureostriata, C.fasciatum, B.albopilosum, B.boehmei, P.pulcher, H.maculata, C.crawshayi, L.violaceopes, C.cyanopubescens, 3xP.irminia, 2xP.murinus RCF, 2xP.cambridgei, C.fimbriatus, C.schioedtei, A.pupurea, A.azuraklassi, A.versicolor, H.lividum, P.reduncus.

Comment

cor - nerve wracking just reading that! lol
      well done... hope it was a success!

Comment

Well I'm thinking about getting another female now . Plus i think i will be reintroducing him too her just too make sure.

Comment

lol I have never seen a man sweat so much from watching tarantula's in my life!
          Well chuffed it all went well.

Comment

Good luck Matthew
            Keep us updated.
            Watch your thoughts, they become words.
            Watch your words, they become actions.
            Watch your actions, they become habits.
            Watch your habits, they become your character.
            Watch your character, it becomes your destiny.
            - Unknown

Species I currently have

Comment

Good luck

My Collection:

Comment

cheers guys will definitely keep you all informed

Comment

thanks for a great insight. What is the gestation period for this species?
                  My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

The female seems too have abandoned her burrow and filled it in. She has taken on a hammock which is kinda weird . Any idea why this is ? ( I have been told too dry her out for 2 months before giving her tank a good soaking too induce her into producing a egg sac, bearing in mind she has her water disk filled daily and there is plenty of moisture in the deeper parts of her tank)

Comment

Over the last few days i have noticed her abdomen is starting too get fatter by the day , so fingers toes and eyes are crossed

Comment

Working...
                      X