Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My new Haplopelma Lividum. What a beauty!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new Haplopelma Lividum. What a beauty!

First pics of her at night. Id made an artificial burrow and burried it in 7 inches of coco fibre substrate. Used a bit of sphagnum moss to keep humidity levels up. She took to the hide pretty much straight away, so i was really happy i must have done something right. Im now keeping the viv at 24-28 degrees and at 75-80% humidity.

Just one question though, iv read so many books on T keeping and each one is conflicting about spraying the viv to keep humity high. Some say its a complete waste of time and you should use a bigger water dish and some say spraying is a must, which is my opinion as just a water dish does not keep or raise humidity levels.
    Attached Files
    David Attenborough:
    ‘It seems to me that the issue of conservation of the natural world is something that can unite humanity if people know enough about it. Persuade them to change the way in which they behave, to change the view that gross materialism and the search for material wealth is not the only thing in life.’

Oh yeah... Look at those fangs on her! Beautiful!
    David Attenborough:
    ‘It seems to me that the issue of conservation of the natural world is something that can unite humanity if people know enough about it. Persuade them to change the way in which they behave, to change the view that gross materialism and the search for material wealth is not the only thing in life.’

Comment

forget spraying, forget the water bowl ... just pour water into a corner of the tub to keep humidity at required level.
      Less hassle for you and the spider at the end of the day

nice addition!!
      Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Thanks for that. Im not new to T keeping, but i like to read a lot about them, and the amount of conflicting info out there is unbelievable. It gets to me because i obviously want to do best by the T.

Il try doing it that way for the Lividum. I thought they always had to have water available no matter what? And do u not worry about mites or mould growth by pouring water in?

Many thanks
        Kyle
        David Attenborough:

Comment

conficting interests and opinions are common now t'interweb is so often used.

Everyone has their own way (right or wrong) that they do things. best to get a load of answers and choose the most common themes within these and make your own way up

Never really had problems with mould (apart from the odd sling pot) most mites that appear can be gotten rid of by drying the substrate out completely, if you do add a water bowl they will accumulate in that for easy disposal as well.
          Springtails might appear if it's damp but these are beneficial to the substrate in reasonable quantities as they clean up for you.
          Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Thanks for the advice!
            David Attenborough:

Comment

Night shot and morning photo.

Caught her wandering round her enclosure last night. Shes a stunning blue colour.

In the morning she was at the top of the enclosure. Not sure why.. She usually hides away all the time but on occasion she does this. Anybody any idea why? My other burrowers never do this.
              Attached Files
              David Attenborough:

Comment

Roaming

Roaming the enclosure at night
                Attached Files
                David Attenborough:

Comment

Not deep enough substrate imo. They are deep deep burrowers and 7inch is not enough.

Comment

Agreed theyr deep burrowers in the wild, Burma and Thailand etc but my bedroom aint the wild.

7 inches has done my other 9 haplopelma sp. For 8 years and theyr fine as are my Ephebobus sp.
                    David Attenborough:

Comment

Working...
                    X