Help with Chilean rose please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Chilean rose please!

Hello there, i have had my beautiful Chilean rose now for just under a year and the guy in shop said she was about 3years old when i got her.

Her behaviour now for the past year has been hiding under her bark seemed very content and eating about 2 to 3 crickets a week.
    Recently though she has been very very restless, climbing everywhere moving things like the little water gel things in her bowl and shes been sitting on her water bowl. She has webbed everywhere too and also when i put my hand in the other day to get something out she turned around and went for me and shes never been like that! My friend said it sounds like she wants to moult but im worried about humidity my bedroom is cold, she has a heat mat on one side and i spray sides with water outside but i dont think its enough. Shes not moulted since i had her. Any help please im worried shes not happy, should i get her a new home maybe she dosent like it anymore

hi ana,

firstly, dont panic, it sounds to me like she is coming up to a molt, the temperament can change as they get closer to a molt and if you've had her for a year she is due one.

its important that you keep the humidity in the tank up a little during this time, if you have a heat mat, make sure its on the side of the tank and not underneath it, i would advise you to go out and buy a little thermometer to put in the tank to help you regulate the temperature to around 24-26 degrees celcius and spray a little inside the tank twice a week.

still try to feed her every now and then but if the feeder insect is still there 1 day after you put it in then remove it and try again a few days later.

hope this has helped.

wayne
    Wayne.

Comment

Originally posted by anagonzlez View Post
      Hello there, i have had my beautiful Chilean rose now for just under a year and the guy in shop said she was about 3years old when i got her.
      Unlikely, unless it is only a little larger than your thumbnail.

Read http://www.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/stansrant.html and http://www.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/roses.html

Enjoy your little buddy!
      The Tarantula Whisperer!
      Stan Schultz
      Co-author, the TARANTULA KEEPER'S GUIDE
      Private messaging is turned OFF!
      Please E-mail me directly at schultz@ucalgary.ca

Comment

If you can post a picture of the spider it may help shed some light on this scenario.

To throw a curved ball here you may have bought a mature male rosea from a pet shop that didn't know or care what they were selling.
        This could mean that the spider could be about three years old (this is an average on how long mine have grown from spiderling to adult with median temps and average feeding regimen)
        This could account for the webbing all over the place as it is making sperm webs (you haven't said above if the webs in a sheet or as strings etc)

If it is sheet webbing this is quite normal and could indicate that a moult is coming up as adults on average shed once a year.
        i would leave her alone and let her get on with her normal behaviour, she will possibly be a little more defensive as she approaches a moult.

Now for a rant
        One thing i will mention is to get rid of those gel crystals in the water bowl, just have a normal water bowl with clean fresh water in there this will help with the humidity of the environment as well, your spider (if adult) won't drown dont worry. all those gel things are good for is popping in your plants when you go on holiday if want my opinion (what they were invented for i believe)
        Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Hi,

Good advice above. Just one more thing, unless your G. Rosea is moulting, I would suggest you stop misting the enclosure. G. Roseas like it bone dry, humidity wil only upset her. The water bowl should be enough for her.

Comment

iv had the same problem mine has been in what i think is premolt for about 3 weeks now she wasent too happy when i tryed to remove something from the advise i got on mine they do like to take there time.

Comment

Thankyou everybody for your advise. I have moved her to warmer room and keeping a close eye as still acting the same and no moult yet. I attached a picture
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X