??? The 2010 BTS Census ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ??? The 2010 BTS Census ???

I was flipping through a new book I bought for the school library - Russell Ash's Top Ten of Britain - when I found the Top 10 Types of Pet in the UK.

No surprises at the beginning - Number 1 dogs, number 2 cats. So plentiful are both my very bizarre imagination began to wonder about emptying London of all people, replacing them with dogs or cats or both and seeing if the government and/or economy improved any.

You can even debate what is a pet as horses hits the list at number 6.

With snakes hitting number 7 at an estimate of 200,000 and rats at number 10 with a mere 100,000, I had to begin wondering if we had been robbed of "our" place on the list. An article about the BTS expo a couple of years back claimed over 30,000 spiders were in the building for the day.

The source of Mr Ash's data was The Pet Food Manufacturer's Association - so naturally we won't make a blip on their radar.

Well, what about it? How "great" are we? Can we stop arachnophobics from sleeping for a week by anouncing how many tarantulas (presuming they are pets) are in Britain? Even an amatuer like me has 6 and I've seen pictures of several of your T-rooms. Any way to get an estimate? Let's see if we can't knock toroises/turtles or better yet, gerbils off the list in time for the second edition.
    So how do you know your tarantula is British?
Working...
X