No announcement yet.

Egg sac help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad news then Robin, but at least you tried, and hopefully success will come next time

Comment

I hate to say it but if you open a sac the eggs are normally quite dry in there (more than likely with a dry powder like substance), if they're pitted or collapsed then thats a different matter.
      Popping it in an incubator (and i'm guessing you tried to up the humidity?) would have sent them mouldy unfortunately
      Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Originally posted by Colin D Wilson View Post
        I hate to say it but if you open a sac the eggs are normally quite dry in there (more than likely with a dry powder like substance), if they're pitted or collapsed then thats a different matter.
        Popping it in an incubator (and i'm guessing you tried to up the humidity?) would have sent them mouldy unfortunately
        Cheers Colin your discription of pitted eggs was spot on, I looked at afew under a microscope, but not all of them as would have been an impossible task. lesson's to be learn't as I used heat mat's, I will it different next time.

Comment

Originally posted by Robin Pearson View Post
          Cheers Colin your discription of pitted eggs was spot on, I looked at afew under a microscope, but not all of them as would have been an impossible task. lesson's to be learn't as I used heat mat's, I will it different next time.
          Here's a photo of eggs just after sac was pulled, not sure if you will be able to zoom in and see pitted, collapsed eggs, they look like dried Leo peas.
          Attached Files

Comment

We all make mistakes when it comes to breeding and even when being as accurate as we have been led to believe is necessary, we still have failures. Check out my thread: http://thebts.co.uk/forums/showthrea...3558#post53558

I think getting water into the bowl, if the sac was close, was a mistake and may have contributed to the mould. I merely add water to raise the humidity a little within the enclosure. When emptying the sac its important to remove the eggs that have gone dark and its good practise to separate those that look a little suspect.

Frustrating as it may be you can take solace from the fact you got to the egg stage, which often people don't achieve. Your incubator seems spot on for looks. Remember the story of the spider, it at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again.
            My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Cheers for that. I also added water just for the humidity and removed mouldy eggs as soon as i could after opening sac. Not feeling so gutted now as i realise how difficult it is to succeed. Your thread was realy interesting and its good to know that even the professionals dont always get it right. Thanks to everyone for advice and tips... Ive got 5 up and comming females so who knows???? Cheers, Rob.

Comment

Everybody has failures ... no matter how long they've been keeping.
                Everybody will learn something new in this hobby on a weekly (if not daily) basis.

We all learn from our mistakes and failures .. it's how we get it right the next time

If i had a pound for every time i've cocked up i'd be funding the next space shuttle
                Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Working...
                X