Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tarantula in-breeding

Hi everyone,

I've been wondering about the potential of captive tarantulas in the UK ending up becoming quite in-bred. I'm curious to know what others think?

It strikes me that if a lot of species are being passed around then surely this could be quite likely unless stringent records of breeding lines are kept?

I realise it is unlikely that the same clutch would end up being bred together as males theoretically mature before females, but what about more rare species such as P. metallica? I'm of the understanding that these have come into the hobby largely through captive breeding, and there were very few imported from India in the 1st instance, therefore is it not quite likely that the same lines have been bred from each other? ie, they must all be related in some way or another?

I just wonder, with all sorts of tarantulas really, seeing how easy it is to pass them about, coupled with the high number of surviving offspring in captivity...

I have never bred tarantulas, and am by no means particularly clued up on the comings and goings of breeding in the UK, but am very curious to hear thoughts on this from others who are experienced in this area.

Thanks
    Last edited by Adam Beynon - Jones; 15-08-13, 12:32 PM.
    Have a good time all the time
Working...
X