• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zoltan Mihaly Lestyan
    replied
    Originally posted by Nick Masson View Post
    No sign of the video anymore? :¬(
    The other one Brendan posted still works for me:

There appear to be a few other videos of this spider on YouTube, just run a search on "rattlesnake tarantula".

Regards,
    Zoltan

Leave a comment:

• Nick Masson
    replied
    No sign of the video anymore? :¬(

Leave a comment:

• Dave Grace
    replied
    Hi Alonso,
    so its pretty much making the noise, in the same way crickets chirp, fascinating!

Leave a comment:

• Alonso Tolentino
    replied
    Originally posted by Dave Grace View Post
    do you yet know how it is making the noise?
    Well, I think that is not a mystery at all. What the tarantula (I will call her "she") is doing is called stridulation. It seems like she has some kind of stridulatory organ on the prolateral face of the chelicerae (stridulatory organs can occur on different appendages and surfaces). So, when she quickly rubs her chelicerae against each other, the stridulatory organs (probably a patch of setae or rows of spines) produce that "noise".

Leave a comment:

• Dave Grace
    replied
    Bonkers in a word!!! do you yet know how it is making the noise? Obviously it hasnt got a rattle stuffed up under its jumper !!

Leave a comment:

• Neill House
    replied
    Superb Brendan! They look great as well.. One of the Admin will do it for you I think (the title removing)

Leave a comment:

• Brendan Stent
    replied
    I just gave it that as a common name at the time due to the unusual sound as I did not want its name to relate even remotely to its location as I am sure it would be targeted for collection. It is a dwarf species and I have a theory as to why it may have evolved this way but will wait until Dr Raven has released his work and it will most likely be a new genus.
    Just on a footnote I have successfully bred this in captivity and they are very small around 8-10mm at 2nd instar and around 20-30 in an eggsac around 15mm dia.
    very flighty to breed took me many attempts using several males over several females and only produced 2 eggsacs of which one was eaten.
    A new link to a video of this T

Also how do I remove the ATA president from under my name?
    Last edited by Brendan Stent; 15-11-10, 08:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Christian Elowsky
    replied
    Nope, but I don't believe they're found on Australia either. It's interesting not only that they get that common name, but that they also use that noise as a warning. I'm completely ignorant of all the fauna, maybe others (reptiles?) use the same noise as a warning? Or maybe many animals recognize that noise as a warning regardless if anything native is making it or not? Or maybe, and this is my attempt at humor, there is a rattling kangaroo?

Leave a comment:

• matthew taylor
    replied
    the thing is ,rattlesnakes are not just found in the us christian,im no expert,and see where you were coming from ,mat

Leave a comment:

• Christian Elowsky
    replied
    So "rattlesnake" tarantula is an Australian native, correct? How odd to see a common name coming from an animal which does not occur with the other! I thought a few had legally been imported to the US, I am just not up on this genus, although I should be with such a great display going for it.

Leave a comment:

• matthew taylor
    replied
    man you dissed mr stent ,bad bad man ,think of the stents birdeater and who found it ,nice if you do come on here brendan ,mat

Leave a comment:

• Brendan Stent
    replied
    Originally posted by Colin D Wilson View Post
    Yes mate, that would be nice.
    Be prepared for a few questions from members on here that keep your indigenous species though
    Bring them on

Leave a comment:

• Colin D Wilson
    replied
    Originally posted by Brendan Stent View Post
    I will try to be a little more active here so people get to know me a little better.
    Yes mate, that would be nice.
    Be prepared for a few questions from members on here that keep your indigenous species though

Leave a comment:

• Brendan Stent
    replied
    That's OK
    I do try my best to inform those that obtain T's from me about them, I have even given talks to the local pet shops at their request on care etc.
    As for it's location, it comes from an area of central Queensland that receives less than 15cm of rain annually and I don't elaborate on it more than that for obvious reasons.
    I will try to be a little more active here so people get to know me a little better.
    Cheers
    Brendan

Leave a comment:

• Tom Forman
    replied
    sry if I "jumped the gun" on you brendan.

Sry bout my language too...

I will just crawl away hissing now.

I do like that Tarantula but you can understand my worry of it beeing mistreated cause of it's cool defense behaviour.

So where is it from originally?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X