Page 2 of 86 FirstFirst 1231252 ... LastLast

Thread: Introductions!

thanks very much for the advice, that's precisely what i'll do! guess i'll be raiding the back garden over the weekend. nice excuse to get outside over the bank holiday weekend, anyways
    i think i'll be adding these little critters to all the tanks...though they may get nibbled on a bit by the younger t's... but i suppose that's probably not a terrible thing...bit of an alternative to the crickets!
    cheers!

Colin D Wilson Guest

You may find, as i do, that most T's leave them well alone and tend to go for the "more juicy" prey items

sounds like the system works!
    i'd not heard of using woodlice to keep tanks tidier before and wouldn't have even thought of it! how'd you get the idea?

Colin D Wilson Guest

I had do a lot of research for a piece written work needed for a qualification i was doing at the time and woodlice featured heavily in the whole waste breakdown scenario for the environment, a bit of further research on the matter and a word or two with some arachnology guru's and i've used them ever since.

Default New Member

I thought I'd introduce myself seeing as I am a very recent BTS member/ forumite!

My name is Mark Pajak and I've been into spiders since I was born, really for me this was a forgone conclusion (do a google search of my surname to find out why - clue: its Polish!) Although I certainly dont share this passion with my immediate family who have had to put up with my zoological endeavours right up until I moved out 6 years ago - now my student flatmates have to put up with it. (they are very wary when I am near the tupperware!)

Anyway I have pursued my fascination through university and I graduated with a degree in Zoology from Bristol Uni a few years ago. My collection includes an adult 10 year old B.smithi reared lovingly since spiderling (my first). At present I have what I believe to be a sub adult female L.parahybana bought as a spiderling labelled T. Blondi. (shes far too black pink and red and much less brown than any blondi pics I've ever seen). I also have three P.fasciata spiderlings and three baboon spiderlings (P.lugurdi, S.calceatum and P.murinus) I am no stranger to the fast and nasty spiders having previously owned an adult S.calceatum - just remember they run UP when startled! I am also eagerly waiting for my first A.versicolor to arrive from the spider shop!

I think the main reason for the trend for this hobby to grow exponentially on someone is that "if you have housing and food for one spiderling - you've got enough for 20!"

So thats that, I've become a BTS member to take a more professional approach to the hobby and will eagerly study the online journals. I will also aim to produce some material fit for publication as soon as I make attempts to breed my spiders. I would ideally like a bit of info on the ins and outs of the "50/50 rule" as I am sure there are some politics behind it all. One question I do have about breeding is - is it considered wrong to mate siblings in captivity due to "inbreeding depression"? and what lengths do people go to avoid this happening? I know the BTS encourages the captive breeding of spiders but I'd really like to know where one would start!

Anyway thats that - I am in Bristol and will make every effort to attend future BTS events. Greetings!

Colin D Wilson Guest

Nice intro, and hello Mark !!!!

As a start for the breeding scenario, you need to apply for acceptance from the "commitee" to be added to the members breeding directory, then you go from there, you will be able to post in this section and ask for or offer mature specimens.

Inbreeding Depression, hmmmm this could turn out to be a VERY long thread if all who have an opinion post.
    I'll start by offering a scenario.......... an egg sac (specifically pokie or avic), in a natural environment, hatches and all the siblings end up in a colony, when this colony matures percentages say siblings will mate and this will happen generation after generation, does this fortify the interbreeding argument in captivity or does it emphasise the need to vary the bloodline.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin D Wilson View Post
    Nice intro, and hello Mark !!!!

As a start for the breeding scenario, you need to apply for acceptance from the "commitee" to be added to the members breeding directory, then you go from there, you will be able to post in this section and ask for or offer mature specimens.
    Excellent - thanks for that, I'll wait till my spiders mature and take things from there. As for Inbreeding depression I guess it would take a lot of data from controlled tests to work out exactly what the negative side effects would be - are there any records of parthenogenesis in spiders?

Colin D Wilson Guest

Actually, not to my knowledge, i've only really known of it in the invert world for some species of aphids, bees (wasps (i think)) and ants.
    It seems the actual transfer of sperm needs to be implemented in arachnids (and there's endless references of females producing many egg sacs from one mating (a few posted on here))
    Read somewhere once about arachnologists in the late 1800's or early 1900's conducting reasearch on parthenogenesis in spiders using a common species (tegenaria) no conclusive proof though as i remember they used wild caught specimens. will have to see if i can find it again and post the link.

Colin D Wilson Guest

Link for the info on parthenogenesis Mark

http://www.biolbull.org/cgi/reprint/13/6/302
    Quite interesting for the time it was written.

There's many more links and info if you google it, in fact a lot more than when i looked for it a fair while back anyway.
    Last edited by Colin D Wilson; 31-05-07 at 03:27 PM. Reason: spelling

A quick hello from me

I read a lot of articles on here so I figured why not join.

I have been interested in entomology since I was a kid. More recently arachnology. I acquired an orphan G. rosea a couple years ago (Jelly Belly who is now gravid…hopefully). Now I have 22 T’s that I just adore and I'm always learning and soaking up all the info I can get my hands on.

I was recently able to play with an AGB which is definitely on my wish list. Just have to sweet talk my fiance in to it first. He’s a good guy and hopefully I’ll get a couple for my birthday…. yes I’m a tad bit spoiled…but hey at least I don’t ask for jewels and gold

Page 2 of 86 FirstFirst 1231252 ... LastLast