Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tarantula Terms

Stanley A. Schultz is offline Stan Schultz Marguerite J. Schultz Co-authors, the TARANTULA KEEPER'S GUIDE
    Anywhere in North America where 6 wheels can take us!

Quote Originally Posted by Zoltan Mihaly Lestyan View Post
    Hi,
    I'm not an expert, but I'll try to give you some basic answers until someone who is educated on the subject chimes in and gives you some more accurate answers. Sorry, I can't always explain the terms properly in English, because mostly I know them by the Latin/Greek name or Hungarian name. ...
    Generally, you did a fantastic job!

... denticles - honestly, I haven't heard about this one before, google gave "small pointed ridge on the exoskeleton of an arthropod". ..
    Little tooth-like processes often but not always arranged in a row or along the edge of a structure.

... paddle hairs - hmmm...
    Me neither! Could they be something like these? (Click or right-click the thumbnails to see larger images.)

(Both of these are scanning electron microscope photos (SEM micrographs) of the front leg of a 4th or 5th instar Brachypelma albopilosum exuvium and appeared in TKG3. Photos taken by Dr. Wei Xiang Dong. Many thanks for all your help Wei Xiang!)

These structures moved in the near perfect vacuum of a scanning electron microscope in response to varying electrical potentials as the mechanism functioned! Hence, a little distortion in the close-up photo. We just sat there and watched with our mouths agape for a good 5 minutes!

"Our ignorance [about tarantulas] is staggering."
    - S. A. Schultz, TKG3
    The Tarantula Whisperer!
    Stan Schultz
    Co-author, the TARANTULA KEEPER'S GUIDE
    Private messaging is turned OFF!
    Please E-mail me directly at schultz@ucalgary.ca

A few years late but this might help. http://www.arachnophiles.co.uk/forum...hosid-Taxonomy
    I did it so take it with a pinch of salt.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12