The year started with Harpactira sp. Robertson nymphs moulting into slings on the 6th(1st sac) and 7th(2nd sac) of January. I believe this was the first and second ever captive breeding of this species and i even managed to pull the finger out and write an article for the journal on it.

The first sling to moult


Slings from sac 2



Next up was my second Harpactirella lightfooti female which dropped a sac on the 2nd of February. I had successfully bred this species last year which i put down to luck so it was nice to see that lightning sometimes does strike in the same place twice. From what i can tell this species seems to drop a sac after keeping the tub dry for a couple of months then soaking some of the substrate.








I then had a Yamia sac on the 14th of February but unfortunately this was eaten 3 weeks later.

Mating


Short lived sac



Next was my Chilobrachys fimbriatus female which dropped a sac on the 2nd of March. Unfortunately 10 days later i found the female curled up beside the sac dead. I manually turned the sac in an incubator a few times a day until the 1st of April at which point i emptied out the contents of the sac to find mostly eggs but a few nymph 1 as well. These developed really slowly with them not moulting into nymph 2 until the 25th of April and then into slings on the 6th of June.






The next sac wasn't until the 7th of March when i found my H. maculata had made a sac on her cork bark. This resulted in over 100 slings the first of which moulted out on the 2nd of May.









On the 10th of March, 3 days after the maculata sac was made, my female Brachypelma schroederi dropped a sac. Unfortunately she never really bothered to roll it and so on the 2nd of April i removed it to find that the sac had become stuck together and and on one side it had completely dried out. After at least an hour and a half i managed to seperate quite a few of the good looking eggs and get them on an incubator. The next day i found my first nymph 1 and over the next couple of days there was a total of 11 eggs that managed to get to nymph 1 with the rest of the eggs going black. On the 22nd of April the first of 3 nymph 1 moulted into nymph 2 with the rest dying. Unfortunately one of the nymph 2 died soon after moulting leaving me with only 2 nymph 2 which moulted into slings on the 31st of May and the 2nd of June.








The next up and also the next failure was on the 31st of March when one of my Cyriocosmus perezmilesi females dropped a sac. This female had been mated the year before and dropped a sac a few months later only to eat the sac the next day. This sac didn't fair much better as it was eaten approximately 2 weeks after being laid.






The next sac didn't do very well either. On the 10th of April my Psalmopoeus irminia female dropped a sac which she seemed to abandon on the 25th. I removed the sac the next day and incubated the eggs. On the 3rd of May i found a few nymph 1 and after a few more days i ended up with 13 in total. Only 4 made it to nymph 2 and then on the 21st of May the tape around the sides of the incubator (a plastic cricket tub with nylon over it) came away and water leaked out everywhere causing the undeveloped eggs and nymphs to go mouldy. Only one nymph 2 survived and moulted into a spiderling on the 9th of June.








Finally on the 21st of May i managed to get my 1st pokie sac when my subfusca female strangely decided to drop a sac instead of moulting. I removed the sac, which was wet and black on one side, from the female on the 11th of June and placed the contents on an incubator. On the 14th of June the eggs started moulting into nymph 1 as as of now i have around 55-60 nymph 1.






So that has been my breeding year so far. Nothing particularly special but enough to keep me amused and fairly busy.