A. Geniculata

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A. Geniculata

After 2 months of waiting I pulled the genic sac today. After quick count (twice) I made it to be 593 N2's inside
    There was a few clumps of fungused eggs that had a few nymphs stuck to mass so i was glad that i pulled it now rather than later.

Last edited by Peter Roach; 14-12-11, 02:41 AM.

Late congrats Peter!
    Iv just been looking on here for any A.genic success so glad i found this one. Iv just ordered an adult female for my male whos ready to breed.
    Were they easy to breed? Any special requirements or tips for this species?
    Cheers
    Kyle
    David Attenborough:
    ‘It seems to me that the issue of conservation of the natural world is something that can unite humanity if people know enough about it. Persuade them to change the way in which they behave, to change the view that gross materialism and the search for material wealth is not the only thing in life.’

Comment

I have heard that they can be a bit tricky especially with the female munching on the male but i didnt have any problems. After the female had moulted I started to feed her heavily on adult female dubia every other day for about a month, I then shark tanked the male for about 2 weeks before introducing him to her. He didnt have a clue where to go and tried frequently to mate with her from the side. He finally managed to get in the right position after about 45-50 minutes and it was all over in a few minutes. All this is from memory as my notes are at the other end of the garden in the shed and its raining at the moment and I aint running down there now !!!

Comment

No its fine Peter, im glad of any info really. Well I certainly hope she doesnt eat my male. But thats the risk as always. He is very skittish so can imagine him running round like mad but only time will tell...
        Thanks again!
        David Attenborough:
        ‘It seems to me that the issue of conservation of the natural world is something that can unite humanity if people know enough about it. Persuade them to change the way in which they behave, to change the view that gross materialism and the search for material wealth is not the only thing in life.’

Comment

Hi Peter,

I'm going to breed my A. Geniculata Female and Male this week, and wondered if there is anything else I should know about breeding them.
          How many times did you pair the male with the female and for how long?
          Did you stay for the entire process?
          How do you know if they have successfully mated?
          Did you feed the female after she had successfully mated?
          Also how long did you have to wait to see an egg sac?

From the pictures it looks like you removed the egg sac,
          If I remove the egg sac, how do I incubate it so it hatches?
          how long after taking the egg sac did you decide to open it?

Thanks for your time

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Harper View Post
            Hi Peter,

I'm going to breed my A. Geniculata Female and Male this week, and wondered if there is anything else I should know about breeding them.
            To successfully breed many species of tarantula there is a long period of conditioning to consider.

It is much more than just putting a sexually mature pair together. If it was that easy then we would all be knee deep in slings by now.

I dont mind helping people but I refuse to spoon feed information that can be researched quite easily on the internet.

ps. Several of your questions are answered above. !!!
            Last edited by Peter Roach; 05-08-13, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Yes Teacher, I will go do my home work now. :P

Comment

And I realized after that i asked questions that were already answered. Sorry.

Comment

Well I paired my male and female A. geniculata a week ago and it all took about 9 to 10 minutes for what appeared to be a successful insertion after which he bolted. Tried to pair them again today (as where I read online said I should pair them multiple times) just to be sure, but as he started bobbing up and down she attacked him at which point he bolted again. Should I give it a few more days and try again because maybe she thought he was prey or should I take her attacking him this time as to mean she doesn't want to mate again?

Comment

I'll put up the video after I do some editing, my partner was over and she almost died when the male bolted and flew out of the viv onto the floor. Don't worry I did the breeding on the floor as i didn't want to risk on a table.

Comment

If the male is yours, I would pair them multiple times until she nails him but if the male is on a breeding loan then you will have to take more care of him unless the owner agrees for him to be used that way.

I would wait for at least 5-7 days before pairing again or longer if a sperm web hasnt been made. This will give the male a chance to load his palps up with sperm, hydrate and have a feed (if he will) and after all that . . its a waiting game.

Comment

Well he made his sperm web on the Friday that's why I retried mating on Sunday when I posted the query. He isn't hungry, he just kills the prey and drops them into his water bowl and leaves them. I also tried again yesterday and today. He stayed on the side of the viv bobbing up and down but she doesn't respond, he walks over withing 2 inches of her and she just ignores him, doesn't move at all. So he stays there for 40 minutes doing nothing then leaves the viv. That was yesterday, and today, he refuses to go near her, I gently nudge him to climb up his wall and down into her viv but he waits 5 minutes then turns around and climbs right back out every time. Tried a few times and then just let him wander around, since he seems to just want to go crawl around away from her viv, before putting him back. So I'll try again in a few more days.

That aside she seems to be very eager to eat, I did a simulated rainfall in her viv (basically water in a jar with a lid full of holes turned upside down) and she kept attacking the water and followed it around her viv trying to catch it. So I fed her.

Comment

Anyway this is the link for the short version of me breeding my A. Geniculatas.

Comment

Working...
                          X