Tank sizes and T sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank sizes and T sizes

I have just made a new heated T cabinet, complete with thermostat etc, and am now thinking about making custom tanks to go in it. I am now calculating the size of tanks to go in, and was wonder what more experienced keepers thought.

I have calculated 5 tanks at (WDH) 9"x13.75"x8" for terrestrials, plus two more tanks sized 9"x6"x12" for aboreals.

My current collection consists of B. albioposum adult female, B. smithi juv male, C. cyanopubescens sling and a T. blondi sling.

I am slightly worried the tank may not be big enough for the T. blondi, but can house it in a bigger tank seperately heated if needs be.

Stigweard

Hi stigWeard,

Whilst I can hardly say I am a very experienced keeper, I think that your tank sizes look great for what your current adult collection holds. I do however, think that you are right to be concerned about the tank for your T.blondi, but it certainly not for a while. How big is the sling at the moment?

Could you expand a little more on your heated cabinet construction, any pics would be great. What are the dimensions? How is heat provided, and what provisions have you made for ventilation? Just looking for some ideas myself

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Cheers,
    Adam.
    Arachnophiles & Forum!

Comment

Hi Adam,

My cabinet is very simple. I purchased a glass-fronted cabinet from Ikea. it has two fitted shelves and the bottom of the cabinet. It stands about 3' 5" tall and 2'4" wide and about 1" 4" deep. The cabinet is meant to be lit so there are holes for the cabels already exisiting. I put some insulation on the back wall (it's made of thin hardboard) and place heat mats that go most of the width in each of the three shelf areas. The bottom shelf has an addtional heatmat on the side wall as the T. blondi prefers the extra warmth and darkness.

The whole lot is controlled by a habistat thermometer set to 24C - 76F. Ventialtion is provided by a gap that goes around the whole of the glass doors. This lets a small even airflow in without loosing too much heat.

In truth this cabinet is smaller that I would have liked but space means it will have to do. I can keep the T's in pet pals in this cabinet but will have custom tanks made to fit (hence my first post).

My T. blondi sling is 1 1/2" - 2" at the moment. I'm hoping it's a girl so am waiting for the first moult to get the cast under the microscope to sex it. If it's a male, I will probably sell it on. Great spider though - loads of attitude and darts around the Pet Pal when I top up the water and drop a cricket in. Here's hoping for a girl!

Comment

hi stig..
        can you remember the name of the cabinet , sounds like a really good idea...
        ONE OF THE HARDEST THINGS IN LIFE, IS TRYING TO EXPLAIN TO A WOMEN THAT EVEN A BARGAIN COST`S MONEY

Comment

Working...
        X