Interesting behavior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting behavior

Heya all, my Acanthoscuria geniculata is about to molt and is now building its web bed. i've observed a very interesting behavior from this big girl, she was kicking hair like crazy for no reason, I was not moving around the tank, that kicking was'nt caused by me. Then I was wondering why she was doing that!

Maybe to put some hair on its bed, so if a predator come and breathe around the Tarantule they will have big problem ?
    CedriKirdec

Kirdec Tarantula's

Hi Kirdec,

I've heard of a similar type of behaviour where certain species like to line the insides of a burrow with their hairs to make it more comfortable.
    Arachnophiles & Forum!

Comment

Some species line their egg-sacs with hair too to ward off parasites. So perhaps this is a similar thing. The genic doesn't want anything nasty coming near while it moults, so it lays down a protective matt of itchiness.

Can't say i've ever seen that behaviour, but it sounds plausible, and i'll keep my eyes open on any moults i see in future.
      And he piled upon the whale's white hump, the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Richardson
        Some species line their egg-sacs with hair too to ward off parasites. So perhaps this is a similar thing. The genic doesn't want anything nasty coming near while it moults, so it lays down a protective matt of itchiness.

Can't say i've ever seen that behaviour, but it sounds plausible, and i'll keep my eyes open on any moults i see in future.
        That's right, I believe blondi's do it to help ward off any parasitic wasps attacking their eggs. They also line their burrows with them.

I bore this in mind when dealing with the eggsac of mine, a good pair of gloves were in order!!! blondi's are renowned for their urticating hairs and I react quite well to them!! I must be mad

Comment

our parahybana lined her egg sac with hairs,I also have a phantom egg sac from my vulpina, it is so thick with hairs it looks like a mouse.
          Mary
          spider woman at Wilkinsons

Comment

INTERESTING BEHAVIOUR

There is another point here. ANTS! Of course, the spider is totally vulnerable when on its back shedding and ants in the rain forest would be all over it and dissect it in a very short time. Ants are not keen to tackle the urticating 'carpet' to get to the spider.

Comment

Urticating hairs

Try this

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Working...
              X