Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Renovation

Hello all, hope you and your T's are all well,

I know the premature deaths of many individual Tarantulas is something a lot that the veteran Tarantula Keepers have to cope with. Life has to go on of course, you still have all your other T's to tend to.

However, I'm only a rookie when it comes to Tarantula Keeping. I had to cope with the premature death of only my second Tarantula. I did everything I could to save her, but now she is gone forever.

Many people would think, "huh, so what. It's just a spider. Millions of people die all the time." I have to say, I've only ever coped with a handful of deaths in my life, and although all my other pets are dead, I've never bonded with them the way I had with my two spiders. In many ways, spiders are just like people. Except they don't insult you, get drunk, bite you (well half the time!) or punch you or give you any grief for no reason, or steal any of your stuff. Not saying a spider's life is better than a human's, no way am I saying that, just to me they seem like some of the best friends I ever had, even though I know I mean absolutely nothing to them in an emotional sense.

I doubt it's a big deal to anyone that my Chile Rose Tarantula died. We only spent a mere five days together before she died. As soon as I unwrapped her and unpackaged her, I immediately knew something was wrong. She was so frail and was curling her legs, and was only subtly moving.

Later that week, she seemed to have made a full recovery and was supposedly fine. Then on Sunday, her condition became critical. She was not walking properly and her legs were curled underneath her. I put her in the ICU, and she died the next morning; born in the wild and died in captivity. She was such a gentle character, I loved her to bits, I wish we had spent more time together before her death.

The exotic pets organisation that sold me the spider asked me to send her back to them. They said that a few others from that same batch had died. I sent her corpse, entombed inside the very kitchen towel and tub she came in, back to where she came from. They have promised to send me another healthier, smaller Chile Rose Tarantula.

So, a new beginning. Nothing can replace the individual that perished, but I'm excited to meet my new friend when she arrives, and hopefully she won't die within a few days. I have sterilised the whole tank and replaced the substrate, and is ready to be reused by the new arrival. I hope this time, I have more luck.

Thank you very much for listening. This is in memory of the Chile Rose Tarantula that I named Mallorie.

~Chris

Hi Chris,
    Sorry to hear that you lost her mate, but no matter how many you have it is still horrible to lose even 1.
    Mary
    spider woman at Wilkinsons

Comment

sorry about your loss, she sounded much loved....

Comment

Originally posted by nicky
        sorry about your loss, she sounded much loved....
        Yes!

Comment

Good news everyone. My new spider has arrived and is fine. Pretty healthy and has about a 5 inch legspan. This is Mallorie's pemenant replacement, and I decided to call her Tamesis. Tamesis was the Greek Goddess of the River.

thanks everyone for your compassion and empathy

~Chris

Comment

Working...
          X