aboreal tarantulas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aboreal tarantulas

Hi, I need some advice on purchasing an aboreal spider?. I've never kept one and need some help in which is the best one to start with?. I've already ordered the appropriate tall cage from custom aquaria, but need some advice on setup. Do I use the same peat/vermiculite as moisture holding material as used for terrestrial spiders, or is there someting more suitable?. I would really like to get a large juv/sub adult rather than a sling or immature. I've heard that the humidity is a lot higher for this genus of spider,how do I keep high humidity up without the buildup of mold and mites. I would very much appreciate a speedy reply as I'm looking to purchase one this weekend. Thankyou. Gareth.[/b]

Any avic or pokie genus would be a suitible first aborial trantula.
    There is no need to use any different substrate in the tank unless you want to make it look like a rain forest or jungle floor.
    The humidity does not need to be much higher than other types of trantula but you can increase this by making sure there is a water dish which is always full and by spraying the tank with loads of water once a week at the begining. Afterwards when filling the water bowl up just fill it slopperly so it allows the substrate to get wet and pour some of the water over the tank and bark. This methord has worked well for myself and other Trantula keepers I know without any mould or mite problems as long as you keep the tank clean of any discarded food etc. If your extra worried about mites you can add in woodlice which will help keep the tank clean and see to the mites etc.

Comment

Does anyone else have any advice on this subject?

As I would like to buy an aboreal T at the BTS Show but I’m sure I have read that Pokies can be aggressive

gizza... what did you end up buying?

Thanks
      Gary

Comment

Pokies are not as bad as they are made out to be but if your unsure then go with the avics. Either way arborals are not really docile or safe enough (to them selves to skitish) to handle so you wont be getting a hand pet like a chille rose or such.

Comment

Our pokies tend to run away if frightened, rather than bite. It's only if you corner them that they try to attack.
          And he piled upon the whale's white hump, the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it.

Comment

Working...
          X