Plan for tanks ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plan for tanks ?

heya all, my spider room is getting good and almost done !

As we're also building my terrarium, I need some good plan of easy maintenance terrarium. I need 2 plan, arboreal tank and terrestial tank.

Picture of interesting tank are welsome as well!

Thx in advance.

Cedrik
    CedriKirdec

Kirdec Tarantula's

Hi Kirdec!

To be honest with you, after many attempts at making my own vivariums and terrariums i have found that it can be more trouble than its worth.

So for now, go to the local pet shops and buy the 12 by 8 by 8 inch Fish tanks that Have Clear seal warnings on them (8 quid usually). These I use for both Tree spids and Groundies, as the tanks can be turned up on end and then be fitted with 2 inch retaining glass strips. I then go to the local glass centre and have the lids cut with a nice 4 inch hole cut in the centers in which i fit a plastic vent cover ( 5 pound per lid)
    13 pound for the job aint bad. You can strap or hinge the lids it is up to you, but they look real good and keep the humidity to around 70-80 % with a good size water bowl.
    All in all for me to buy the glass and cut it ,Jig it and fit emm together with clear sealen for fish, i could no way do that for less than 20 to 25 quid

The new twin locking door vivs that are on the Market are lovely for Arboreal spids but I do think that they are too Tall for our groundies and again they cost upward of 29 quid.

Sorry to ramble on lol.

Mike.

Comment

Thx for the reply but that is some bad news hehe I was hoping to do my own vivarium easily

well i'll see if theres other reply, but i think i'll have to follow your suggestion
      CedriKirdec

Kirdec Tarantula's

Comment

Sorry Kirdec, I never meant to make you think it wasnt possable to do your own hehe of course you can if your willing to put the work in.

It is great fun comming up with your own ideas for tanks but on the scale that i am displying spids, it wouldnt be financially wise lol.

So here is the advice I should have given first.... I use 3 mill picture glass if i can get it cheap from reclomation centres. I then Make a Jig out of ply wood and cut the glass to a relevant size. With a ply Jig you can make any Size tank you want with as many sides as you want.
        I use an oil stone to remove the sharp edge from the cut glass, then place each sheet in the jig starting with the bottom plate followed by the sides which i hold in place at the top using large bulldog clips (big sprung paper clips).
        Run a small bead of Fish tank sealent along each edge then, very slightly lift each side section to allow a small amount of sealent into the crease to cusion the joint. Firmly clamp the sealed sides with more clips and leave well alone for about 2 days at room temp, this makes sure that the sealent has formed a good thick skin. It is real strong this stuff and I still use tanks today that i made 15 years back.
        Hope this helps a bit mate.
        Mike..

Mike.

Comment

Working...
        X