keeping cages at reasonable temperature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• keeping cages at reasonable temperature

We have several glass cages, 3 in a row. Double heat mat across two i.e. half of it on each cage. Ventilation round lid only. Due to the roomthey're in not being very warm - heat on morning and evening - we would like to know how to maintain reasonable temp in cages. Is polystyrene behind heat mats safe? How about foil type backing that goes behind radiators? Cork mats? Has anyone any ideas that are safe, i.e. don't cause heat mat to overheat. G. Foley

I think polystyrene is your best bet.Some people place heat mats against the side of the tank(or even inside the tank).The heat mat is a strange heat source as it actually heat objects in the tank including the T,so don't worry about air temp to much.However if your T's are burrowers I think it's ok for a reasonable drop in temp no more than 8 degree's i would say.In the wild they use their burrows for this pupose(aswell as many others)but the temp in the burrow shouldn't change that much.Giving T's a place to regulate their temp.Personally I try to let my T's have seasons so they can follow the signs nature would give them in the wildaylight,Temparature e.t.c.
    However it's always good to just keep an eye on the animals and see how they respond to the changes.
    I hope this helps,
    Mike.
    We are judged not by our words but by our actions.

Comment

Working...
    X