Curious behaviour in my T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curious behaviour in my T

Hi all I got my first T some weeks ago and it has been fascinating to observe it eat and dig around.
    I got myself a Great White knee(spiderling just over 4 cm) and so far it has been very nice to have.
    I am Curious about a few things though.
    Since i got it no webs have been around the cage im keeping her in,i got her in a small jar and at the time a web mat was in the surface.
    I have her in a small plastic container (ferrero rocher box) with a filmbox as her hideaway wich she uses im glad to see.
    Do they only spin webs on the floor to prepare moulting ?
    and another thing,she often is on the side of the container after she climbs up just staying still sideways.
    Can it be a problem with the substrate or the moisture?
    I bought a substrate from a petshop for rainforest terrariums.
    Well its great to belong to the T hobby and im well hooked
    have fun n Good luck

Hi and welcome to the forums!!

In answer to you questions,

All spiders and even individuals of the same species vary greatly with the amount of web they lay, if caught in the right light, you may see some strands of silk lying across the substrate. The web in it's old container may well have been remenants of a moulting mat, especially if it was a small container, therefore limited places for it to go, so the web would be more visible.

It's difficult to tell from common names as they vary so much, but your's sounds like it could be A.geniculata (possibly), if so, they don't tend to web as much as some others anyway.

Don't be too worried about it wandering about and hanging on to the sides of the container, it has only been in there for a very short while, so is still settling in. Some T's just do that, regardless of substrate and conditions, if it's eating okay and looks healthy, that's two of the best indicators.

If this is your first T, be prepared, it doesn't stop there!!! Weclome to the hobby.

Howard

Comment

hiya

I read about the species and it is A.Geniculata and thanks for your reply to my thoughts,im already wondering about my 2nd type of T
      My first one is eating well and has a nice round belly
      so I am on the right track so far
      Seeya and thanks again.

Comment

Genics are great! They always seem to be hungry, and mine doesn't bother with her hide at all.

She only lays down draglines of silk as she walks, so she can find her way around, no proper web at all.

They look stunning as adults, mine is an 8" monster eating machine at the moment
        And he piled upon the whale's white hump, the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it.

Comment

Working...
        X