Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brachypelma smithi spiderling...HELP Please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brachypelma smithi spiderling...HELP Please...

I have got a Brachypelma smithi spiderling...and i so don't want it to die...

I already have a 'Chile Rose' thats doing well for the past few years...so i half understand...

But...

A spiderling...Thats a bit different...

I've had it for about two months and its shed twice..and the colors are coming thru strong...Its over an inch and half long (legspan)

I'm feeding it pinhead crickets and its eating well...

Humidity is about 75% and temp is about 75f...

I just need to know am i doing alright...

Its definitely a 'hair flicker'...so thats inline with its type...

Any advice.....No better than that...ALL ADVICE in bringing this 'smithi' onwards would be 100% welcomed...

Its just that its a small one...is it really any different to keeping a juvenile...

Just tell me straight....

Thanks guys...

DB

Sounds to me like you're doing everything right if it's eating and molting successfully.

Comment

I'd agree with Becca. Just keep doing what you're doing and you should be OK

My Collection:

Comment

Can't see anything wrong there, you seem to be doing everything right in fact.
        Mary
        spider woman at Wilkinsons

Comment

Thanks everyone...

I just wanted to be sure...'cos i waited a longtime for a 'smithi' and a spiderling was the only thing i could find.

I think i'll see how it goes with this one and if all goes well..I'll prob buy more little un's...It sure is a lot cheaper

Hey, i'm doing better than i thought...at this rate i'll soon be poking Usambara Baboons to see if their alive...

Yeh...Of course i will...

Comment

hi de bunk.
            welcome to the world of the brachypelma.
            sounds like your doing fine, I would sugest though, upping the size of the crickets slightley. aim for crickets around the size of the spiders abdomen.
            good luck

Comment

Originally posted by STEVE LYONS
              hi de bunk.
              welcome to the world of the brachypelma.
              sounds like your doing fine, I would sugest though, upping the size of the crickets slightley. aim for crickets around the size of the spiders abdomen.
              good luck
              I agree here, up the size of the crickets, my smithi juveniles which are around 25mm (1 inch ) to 35mm (1.25 inches) will take crickets of 10mm in size often called size 3 crickets.

Regards
              MArk

------------------------------------------------------
              Serious Ink tattoo studio -
              Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
              My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Thanks again for your help...

I thought the pinheads were looking a bit small for it...

I'll try it on size 3...

I'm gonna be well pleased with myself if i can raise this 'Smithi'...

I've given it a bigger hiding hole and its 'in and out' quite a bit.

DB

Comment

My smithi slings which are bout the same size as yours De_bunk do the same thing, in fact more often than not they are out. Except if they get scared or if they feed they tend to like to take thier food into their lair and eat it.

Comment

You're doing pretty well for a beginner, bit like myself years ago. As everyone said you're doing everything by the book, so to speak and giving slighlty larger crickets would be good idea. However poking an usu,bra baboon would advise against it. Quick wouldnt be the word id use, speedy gonzales fast would be omore appropriate.

Comment

Adam...

Sorry if i gave the wrong impression..I've had Tarantulas for a good few years now...Ive got a few now..the obligatory 'rose'...a 'zebra stripe' that died because of the previous owner...and i couldnt save it...

Its just that i have never had a spiderling...Mine have always been bought as sub adults...You know..straight into the tank kinda thing...

I think i should have relied on what i know already, instead of me having a panic up...It was just that i had to make sure...and this is the place to make sure...

I'm not a breeder..so baby spiderlings aint my thing...

Seriously..I just dont know how the breeders even cope with hundreds of babies...Thats gotta be commitment to the hobby...Respect to them..

Thanks for the 'thumbs up' tho...It gives me confidence to move on to the more 'exotic' species...

DB

( PS...If i do get any probs...You guys better had better put me straight..'cos i aint that much of a smarta** where i know everything... )

Comment

Working...
                      X