Best method to warm a tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best method to warm a tank?

My A. avicularia is in a glass tank 30x30x45cm, with 45cm the height. We have a fairly cold home with night temps around 15degrees C in any room, and I am battling to warm the tank. I have been using a small (10x15cm) heating pad, but cannot increase the temp above 21 C.

This evening I removed most of the mulch substrate and inserted a 15x20cm heating pad, but on searching the forum, I've read that it's believed T's burrow to escape the heat. Is this correct? (Obviously not an arboreal, but I plan to add terrestrials)

If not a heating pad, should I add a blue heating light to the inside of the tank?

Thanks, all

tank heating

hi paul
    you can try sticking the heat mat to the outside of your tank, either on the rear, or one of the sides, the heat will easily pennetrate the glass
    and the spiders can regulate thier temperature by moving around the tank.
    keep some substrate, as it can be kept moist to help maintain correct
    humidity levels.
    good luck

Comment

Looking at the dimensions you posted I assume the tank is an Exo Terra Medium tank? I have the same tank, I used cut out bits of foam (you get a piece with the tank) and a large heatmat which I stick to the back of the tank, the foam helps to maintain the temperature inside the tank, I hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks all!

Yep, it's an Exo Terra, but I've cut the foam to replace the mesh on top, as I was told the T's can get caught up in the mesh.

Have now added a lg heating pad to the side of the Vivarium, and placed my snake tank against that side, thus preventing excessive heat escape. Two cushions up against the other side and a piece of wood against the back takes care of the rest, and things have definitely improved. Day temp with oil heater is 26 degrees C, and night temp without the heater (Fire concern) is 21 C.

Man I love this hobby!!!

Comment

Working...
        X