Molting Query?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Molting Query?

My Daughter rang me today at midday, to say that my spider was "dead" as it was lying on it's back!

It has not eaten for 3 weeks and the abdomen is jet black, so the long awaited molt should be upon us?

I was eager to see the results when I got home at 6pm, only to see it the correct way up and no molt has taken place!

I understood that the whole process was involuntary on the spiders part, but mine seems to have had a false start - is this possible or is it a bad sign?

I hope not as this is my first and I am keen to get it to adulthood

Neil
    It will molt in its own time, It may have just fallen on its back and righted itself. As the new skin forms underneath the spiders senses to the outside world are slowly cut of and they can be a bit clumsey.

Keep an eye on it, out of curiosity how big is the spider at the moment.

Cheers
    Mark

------------------------------------------------------
    Serious Ink tattoo studio -
    Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

At the moment it is about 60mm across its' legs, front to back. I understand it to be CB in '04.

Comment

OK, my T has managed to molt after all.

All seems well, although it has molted under it's cork bark and as I don't want to disturb it, I haven't taken the old skin out and checked.

I hope I can use the skin to determine it's sex, but I may have to post a picture to get some expert advice?

You can see straight off that the leg length and thickness is significantly bigger, I would estimate an end to end increase from 60mm to 80mm+ but the abdomen looks tiny, giving it a weird spindly appearance. I suppose that will blow up once it starts eating?

Must say we are all relieved, first time around it is quite stressful for the owner never mind the spider!

Comment

OK, yet another question.

The old skin is still underneath the cork bark with the spider and to remove it I will have to lift the bark. This normally results in the spider hair flicking, which I assume means it is a little stressed?

How long should I wait before the old skin becomes a problem with regards to rotting or infestation etc, bearing in mind the current "heatwave" here in the UK?

I don't want to unduly distress it before it has had a week to harden up (only 2 days so far), however, should I just get in there carefully and remove it?

Comment

They'll normally take out the trash when they feel like it and dump the skin in a corner for you to take away.
            And he piled upon the whale's white hump, the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it.

Comment

Working...
            X